Power Outage Planning

its funny this has come up. I just posted this on RC this morning in the Tampa Club. I lost it sometime in the middle of the night. Kicked back on then kicked off and then it was back on this morning finally. I asked how long would my fish have in the 55.

My responses on RC are to have frozen water bottles for temp control (for those of use in warm climates) and some people have mentioned that they have car batteries that they can hook a powerhead up to.

Other things mentioned were to have the battery powered air bubblers and place a powerhead close to the surface for exchange and movement. Never did get a time estimate if I was uanble to do anything.

It would depend on how much the tank is loaded. Howmany fish, how many corals ect....
I have lost power over night before and nothing happened, however, dcan lost power for 6 hours and lost most everything in his tank

Unfortunatley, each tank is different

well the last one I posted has a picture on the box that say " when the power goes off the bubbles come on" also saw on a review site that this model comes on when the power goes off. I went to look at the penn plax site but it doesnt have any specific information. I would think that the bubblier would provide some surface agitation at least give some oxygenation.

Possible cheap solution:

I'm thinking simple battery backup air pumps might help but they are not going to be enough.

Air pumps like this come on automatically.

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+8120&pcatid=8120

In addition to air pumps, hook up a low wattage pump in tank and heater to auto inverter (100 to 150 watts) --but you'd have to be home when the power goes out.

Battery backups like then one mentioned earlier (https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+8120&pcatid=8120 )
are similar to computer battery backup solutions and are expensive and do not provide power for very long.

Possible automated solution for small tank:

Use battery backup for air circulation and leave heater (and maybe small pump) plugged into computer type battery backup.

Last edited:
Sen on the air pumps. They only switch to battery power. They have to already be on though. Or you have to be home to turn them on. They do not automatically come on. Just switch. I have two of these.

what is the number 1 thing you have to worry about in case of a power outage?

getting the water oxygenated and temp? in that order?

Sen on the air pumps. They only switch to battery power. They have to already be on though. Or you have to be home to turn them on. They do not automatically come on. Just switch. I have two of these.

The one I mentioned earlier just has to be plugged in:

"It runs continuously on 110V, switching automatically to battery during power loss, then recharges when power is restored"

With that and a low wattage heater on a computer battery you might just make it through the power outage.

Yes true. But what happens when you're at work and the power goes out and you're not home to turn the pump on? Should there be a device that will come on automatically when there is a power outage? I don't want to aerate the tank all the time.

I'm picturing a bicycle hooked up to a motor to generate power ;) (I'm picturing it to be the size small enough for a little 8 year old.....hehehehe)

I have a flooding plan (except of course unless the entire tank just goes caput). I'm trying to cinvince my hubby to let me move one of our backup battery power generators to the sump room to keep my pump running for an hour...but I guess his tivo and internet are more important!!

Then again, if he keeps the internet on, I can log in here and whine about how my power's out :)

I'm picturing a bicycle hooked up to a motor to generate power ;) (I'm picturing it to be the size small enough for a little 8 year old.....hehehehe)

I have a flooding plan (except of course unless the entire tank just goes caput). I'm trying to cinvince my hubby to let me move one of our backup battery power generators to the sump room to keep my pump running for an hour...but I guess his tivo and internet are more important!!

Then again, if he keeps the internet on, I can log in here and whine about how my power's out :)

Why not go buy HIM a generator to run YOUR tank if the power goes out? :mrgreen:

Back