Powerheads- How do I select the correct number of them and at what gph?

herefishyfishy

Reefing newb
I have a 56 gallon tank that will become a reef tank by next week. I am trying to plan out my powerheads; how many and at what gph. It is a tall wide cube tank. lol if that helps. I have one powerhead in there already but it is the smallest gph that Koralia makes. I can seriously spit harder than this thing blows. I also wish to stick with Koralia since they pivot more and they are waaayyy cooler looking. Any advice will be taken in to consideration and greatly appreciated!!!

In my 60 gallon, i have a 6000 litre per hour and 3000 litre per hour. Soooo what that is in GPH I have no idea. But fair to say you can have a lot more than that.

I think its like 450gph total. But that could be wrong. But you need a lot more than what you have. thats for sure.

if you are planning on keeping a reef you want to shoot for a turnover rate of about 40 times per hour, so that would be in the realm of two koralia 1050's or three 750's combination is up to you .. your return from a sump if you have one counts in on the turnover rate..
sofites 20 times and up per hour
lps up to 40 times per hour
sps 40 times per hour up to 80

Back