Powerheads....

SeaBee

Ha Ha Thats Funny!
So I want a little input from you guys on my powerhead placement.

Tank is a 55, 48" w 18" t 12" d.

I want to put a #3 in the top left corner, facing out from the back, then a 1050 Koralia in the top right, facing down the length, then a #2 in the bottom left, behind the rock, and finally a #1 Koralia in the bottom right, also behind the rock.

Is this too much flow?

Well it depends on what you want to keep. Some corals don't want a lot of flow. But you know what they say, as long as you don't have a sand storm you should be good.

Its just that I have these 3 islands of rock in there, and the back corners are really dirty. I have three of them in there running now, and the #2 in the back left corner is blowing down the back wall right behind all the rock, its cleaning out behind there pretty good, no sand moving, but I see the dirt coming out. Now to get the #1 in teh back right, that one is only 450 gph. And the #3 seems like it puts out more than the new 1050, so I put the 1050 in the upper left corner, and the #3 back on teh right side, blowing right down the center of the tank....

So I want a little input from you guys on my powerhead placement.

Tank is a 55, 48" w 18" t 12" d.

I want to put a #3 in the top left corner, facing out from the back, then a 1050 Koralia in the top right, facing down the length, then a #2 in the bottom left, behind the rock, and finally a #1 Koralia in the bottom right, also behind the rock.
Is this too much flow?

Here's the idea a piece of PVC running from top to bottom of tank push water through with a power head. If you drill the holes spaced apart if you could create a curtain effect blowing across the back of the tank. Water flow and pressure can be controlled by hole size ? :mrgreen: would make fun experiment

Last edited:
I did something similar with what toolman said.. With my return from my sump I ran pvc down the back of my tank drilling holes evry couple of inches pointing down to get flow to the back of the tank.. Wanted to try to keep a little change in the pocket instead of feeding the electric company.. figured I needed flow in the back why not use what I was running anyway instead of adding another powerhead.. just watch the size of the holes, lager the hole less pressure and it wont do much good.

Last edited:
Here's the idea a piece of PVC running from top to bottom of tank push water through with a power head. If you drill the holes spaced apart if you could create a curtain effect blowing across the back of the tank. Water flow and pressure can be controlled by hole size ? :mrgreen: would make fun experiment

I had something like this along the bottom of my old 125... only we had elbows every foot that we had heated, and then pinched almost shut. It worked wonderfully.

I have all the powerheads in there, the water is great, no deadspots. I had to move some softies, but, the fish think they all got an Endless Pool in there!!! The corals look great so far to. So I had a duststorm last night from all the crap behind the rocks, did a water change and today all looks pretty good.

Back