"Pro" newbies

I had mine as a Bare-Bottom for a month, but i am a certified diver too and don't ever remember seaing a ocean reef without sand at the bottom...lol

You know there is alot of people like that out there and i think it is stupid that some people dont do research. I always do research whether its boucing ideas off the people on this site or readding other peoples problems on here and i am learning more and more everyday. I think i am addicted to this stuff, I cant get enough. I have been doing this off and on for 5 yrs and i still feel like i bought my first tank ever. There so many ways you can pick up information about this hobby. I use this website(just joined a couple of days ago) and I think its fun. I get in trouble somtimes because my girlfriend want me to pay attention to her and i am doing all this fish stuff

I didn't intend to say that LFS shouldn't be able to educate the user and didn't mean to come across that way. I have one LFS that will tell me anything I want to know about a coral and also tell me if they really don't know how to care for it. Another LFS is good, but has to be watched. However, I do my research regardless of which one I go to (and I usually go to the one that knows their livestock.

The good thing about this site is that it's a smaller group of hobbyists that all have standardized on similar methods. The benefit is that we can all typically agree and resolve each others questions & problems. I have enjoyed this site for over a year and appreciate this cohesive atmosphere.
Many of the "other" forums out there are too large and have too many different styles & ideas. It's great to check in on them once in a while, however, I find the constant bickering and challenging of methods confusing and disruptive.

I hope everyone that has the means can support living reefs to help keep it going. You can donate on the front page for $20.00 per year. I find it a small price to pay for all the information I get out of the site.

---blatant plug--- I feel like i just did a late night infomercial!

:bounce:

The good thing about this site is that it's a smaller group of hobbyists that all have standardized on similar methods. The benefit is that we can all typically agree and resolve each others questions & problems. I have enjoyed this site for over a year and appreciate this cohesive atmosphere.
Many of the "other" forums out there are too large and have too many different styles & ideas. It's great to check in on them once in a while, however, I find the constant bickering and challenging of methods confusing and disruptive.

I hope everyone that has the means can support living reefs to help keep it going. You can donate on the front page for $20.00 per year. I find it a small price to pay for all the information I get out of the site.

---blatant plug--- I feel like i just did a late night infomercial!

:bounce:

One of these days I would like to support LR. Still saving towards things like a skimmer. However, Yeah, it is a great idea. Maybe soon.

I will agree, the LFS I was talking about is just one, we have a great LFS who is very active posting on one of our local forums. I would trust just about 99% of every thing they tell me. But most people who are new will go into a store expecting to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about and they will not alway find it at some places, like the one I was talking about earlier. I can't speak for other people but when I am told somehting I always check up on it a little, on here or product reviews. Even if I make an inpulse buy that great deal, I always check out more about it before I use it.

I will agree, the LFS I was talking about is just one, we have a great LFS who is very active posting on one of our local forums. I would trust just about 99% of every thing they tell me. But most people who are new will go into a store expecting to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about and they will not alway find it at some places, like the one I was talking about earlier. I can't speak for other people but when I am told somehting I always check up on it a little, on here or product reviews. Even if I make an inpulse buy that great deal, I always check out more about it before I use it.

Smart!

Back