Project5k and the new 75Gal salt tank

Oh yeah. I decided a long time ago that I will try as hard as possible to only ever live in warm climates. I absolutely hate the cold.

eww i couldnt live anywhere it gets that cold.. i was in a tent on the top of a mountain in new mexico one night when it hit -15 and i swore then, that i'd never have to endure that kind of shrinkage again :)

tank temp is staying at 78 like it should now, so i'm sure that all it was was the house being all closed up and no air movement...

i'm starting to wonder, if i took the impellor out of that new pump, i wonder how successfull i would be a ballencing it.. i mean thats the only moving part, so thats gotta be whats causing the vibrations and noise, and so, its gotta be a ballance thing, right???

hmmm, i have a RC boat prop ballencer and a RC car tire ballencer, wonder if one of thoes would work..

sounds like a new "project" for me this weekend... hehehehe

that is certainly a valid thought, and i tried something similar, i rested it on some open cell light weight carpet pad foam i had, and its not the pump vibrating against anything thats making the noise, its actually the pump itself, the plastic casing or something inside it...

thanks for the idea tho, its that simple kinda stuff that i normally miss...

going a little further with the out of ballence idea, if it is unballenced, then its not operating at its max efficency either, so by ballencing the impellor, it should increase the eff. of the pump, reduce the noise, and just generally increase the pumps lifespan...

agreed, tho, i will admit, just rolling the idea around in my head, i would think, that in this particular situation it might not be as much heat as one might think... i believe(but not sure) that the center shaft that the impellor rides on is ceramic coated, so there wouldnt be too much friction and or heat... would there?

you can get a lot of heat out of some pumps. i think it is because of how insalated the inards of the pump are. but i could be very wrong about that

yea, but i'd be willing to bet that most of the heat is from the inductive coils and or the eddie currents that are created in the impellor, and is then dispursed into either the "target" fluid, or the surrounding fluid...not the friction of the impellor inside the housing(tho i'm sure that contributes some)

i am shure it does also. but i think if you shave it dove a bit to balance it is is not going to work anymore. dont they need a snug fit for the impeller to work? i am just thinking that it may make the pump work harder to turn the impeller since it has to transfer the energy farther

well, a "snug" fit in a pump is somewhat relative. If your talking high pressure, then yes, but most all of the pumps that we use in the hobby are centrifugal pumps, and while the clearance between the impellor and the vanes, and or houseing is important, its not so important for us...

now, let me clarify that a bit, if you take a substantial amount off the actuall impellor, then yes it could effect the performance of the pump, but it wouldnt make it work harder, if anything it would lighten the load on the pump, cause it wouldnt be able to "grip" the water as well to try and push it out the output... so it "slips" and less water is moved, but the pump still turns at the same speed, and it still draws about the same power from the wall...

in this particular situation, the little plastic impellor dosent weigh hardly anything compared to the magnetic rotor. The one thats encased in the stainelss tube that i "rust tested" before trying to use this pump. My thinking is that if i can do most of my ballencing on the magnetic end, and leave the actuall plastic impellor as is stock, then it should effectively make the pump a bit more efficient, cuase it will move more water, cause the impellor will be staying more centered in the housing of the pump, rather than wollowing around with a variable and changing gap all the way around...

Your thought process is good, just not exactly on point for this kind of pump..

that is very understandable. so get to work on it and let us know how it works. i want to get a new pump i want an external one i think but i am always wanting to change things a bit

You may be correct Project... I was just thinking back to my days in a machine shop and when a shaft was out of ballance and clanked off the cylinder walls each clank created heat vs. the shaft spinning smoothly and well lubricated which created minimal heat. But that was a long time ago and time warps the memory some, so I could be way off. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

theres no doubt in my mind that IF it is out of ballance, and that is whats causing the noise, then there is extra friction and yes there will be more heat, but i really dont think that heat is my biggest issue right now, its the noise, and what i've had to "rig" to cover up the noise...

I'll bust out with the prop ballancer this weekend and see what happens...

aww crap, i just remembered something... the shaft of the ballancer is chromed steel, a ferrous metal, which means that the impellor's magnets are gonna pull on that shaft.. hmmmm i wonder if that will try and pull it off center...

my other fear is that there is just too much slack between the impellor and the shaft it spins on, and if thats the case, i'm not sure if there is anything that i can do to help fill in that space... didnt pay attention to that when i had it apart before tho... so i dont know yet...

I got it... just thought if you were going to throw a stone might as well try to get 2 or 3 birds. Know what I mean.

I see where you are going with the magnetics. That could present a problem. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Good luck.

heck ya, i'm all for more birds and fewer stones! yea, i dunno, i also have a wheel ballencer, but i really have no recall of what material the center shaft on that is, or if its even the right size to fit through the impellor...

I'll try and remmember to take pictures as i go, but i have a bad history of getting the job done, and forgetting to document along the way...

Back