Project5k and the new 75Gal salt tank

I can understand. I do the same thing. I get the camera out and the next thing I know I am done... OR... I am so covered in grease and muck that I can't pick up the camera without making it nasty or spending the time to wash up take a pic and go get dirty again. Like the times I am out wrenching on my truck or tractor...

yup, exactly, tho i did get it right one time.... i used to be on this honda civic forum, and i did this big long write up about how to do the rear brakes(drums) cause apparently the skills that are required to work on drum breaks are no longer passed down.... if i can find it again, i'll post a link...

well i could allways fly up, hang some lights and fix some breaks, but i dont think that the airline would look kindly on my carry on being full of tools... :)

oh, and this weekend was crazy busy, so i didnt end up having time to ballance the impellor in the pump, perhaps one night this week.. i hope...

oh, hey i forgot to mention, while running around this last 4 days like a crazy person trying to get every maner of stuff done, and not getting to my pump, i did get something totally awqesome for my fish tanks...

So, the short version of the story is that we had to go to walmart for our weekly grocery run, you know little stuff, milk bread, and stuff, i loaded up my buckets in the truck, cause i needed to "GO GET WATER" and the best water in seguin that i have found so far, comes out of the culligan machine in the walmart. According to my recently calibrated TDS meter, its a 002. the water shed was over 100, and the house is over 200.

So with my buckets in the basket i go, pay, get my water, and head back out to the truck, while she finishes up getting groceries... well, 25 gallons later, paid for on the debit card at the checkout stand(so she can see how much i spend on water every week or so....) and we get home, she looks at the bank and said, "hey, are you gonna be spending $10 every week on water?" I answered yup... "so how much was that filter thing you wanted?" i said Less than 3 months worth of water, "ok, fine, just order the damn thing then"

WOOHOO, so now i'm on purewaterclub.com trying to figure out what all i need, and want, and if i'm gonna have to have a "booster pump" which i'm not finding.. hmmm

oh, and she never said that this comes out of my allowance either!!!

Awesome! It'll make your life a lot easier.
Don't forgot, tho, that your water bill will go up - rodi creates a lot of "rejection" water.

yea, i'm expecting the water bill to go up some, but then again, i really dont use THAT much water, so even if the rejection ratio is 3:1, i use about a gallon a day for evap, so thats 4 gallons a day, and then my water changes are about 10-15 gallons, once a week, or more realistically once every other week, so lets say 40 per week if i do 10's, then thats 44 gallons a week, so thats 176 gallons a month... add 10% just for error correction purposes, and thats 193 gallons a month on the meter at the street... thats not too bad, considering that my normal water bill is like 30 bucks a month, i have no idea how many gallons that is, but i'm sure its a couple thousand, so, i should be in good shape...

the other thing that i'm gonna do is that i'm gonna set up a tank outside, to collect the "reject" water, for other things, rather than just dumping it down the drain, watering trees, "process cooling" for some of the machine tools i have, things like that... that i'm using fresh supply water for now, so, that'll make it so this impacts my water bill that much less...

remember it take more than a gallon of tap water to make a gallon of RO/DI. that is the reason for the need of the drain tube. I am not sure what the exact ratio is and I am sure it will vary depending on the unit you get. I did not notice a significant increase in water usage on my bill. But to compesate I bought my wife the high efficiency front load washer and dryer. :-)

Please read above, i think i already explained that i understand that...

ie if i use 1 gallon a day for evap, so i calculated it to take 4 gallons, ie the 3:1 rejection ratio....

WOOHOO!

RO filter ordered....
T5 bulb connectors ordered...

now i just gotta get me a new t5 bulb so i can make sure and mount the bulb connectors in the right spots, and i can get started on the new canopy!! hehehehe

so, just as a matter of documentation, the current theory on why my zoas are slowly shrinking away is that my sg is a little low... i've ben keeping it at 1.023 according to my little plastic swing arm tester thing... i dont know if thats accurate or not, but, i keep it in the same place every time i do a water change, just to keep things stable, but from what i'm learning, i should be more up around the 1.025 area,

so, i have a new batch of water mixing at the house now, and i think its right at the old .023 mark, so i'll mix in a little more salt, get it up to .025 and do about a 10% water change, nothing too drastic, and hopefully that isnt too fast either... i'll do that a couple times a week, till the whole tank measures 1.025 and then i'll see how they do.. i really want them to survive, cause they are my first, and there are some blue ones on that rock, and i really love the way they glow under a black light.. hehehe

maybe i should also think about investinging in a better method of measuring my sg.... hmmm $$$

P5k those swing things go bad after a few months. You in danger.
I had one in the beginning and it got to be way off. Get something else. Do not trust it. Seriously.

refractor meters work great for keepin your salinity right they are a lil pricey but well worth it and yes the ocean level of salinity is right about 1.025 so that is the best place to keep our tanks at

Back