Protein Skimmer Creating Microbubbles

snyderju

Reefing newb
So I have an Aquaticlife 115 mini internal protein skimmer. I really like this skimmer. It put out a lot of microbubbles when I first got it about 3 weeks ago. After about a week the bubbles went almost totally away. It was getting some green algae developing in the chambers so I took it out and scrubbed it with a tooth brush. We also added our fish back into the tank and I added a little API Stress Coat to the water and a little Melafix. I know these products can cause it to act funny. In the last 2 days I've changed a little over 50% of the water. I noticed a slight improvement but it is still putting out microbubbles. I also added a fresh bag of carbon to help soak up the rest of the meds. Do you think cleaning it out would make it break in again? Any help is appreciated.

Cleaning it or taking it off line for some time can cause it to go through a another 'break in' period - Also, those meds cause a lot of problems with skimmers. I dosed Melafix when my tank was starting out and I had an issue with a fish, it took WEEKS to get my skimmer to run right after that

The lesson i learned was never, ever, ever dose anything in the DT....ever

Ya it was against my better judgement but our poor firefish had a little tear in her fin and I couldnt say no to the gf lol. I Guess I'll just wait it out and let the slime coat build up again.

Back