Protein Skimmer Selection?

MVlk

ReefWolf
I am close to purchasing a skimmer for my 125 soon to be reef tank. Is FOWLR currently. I had been steered to an Octopus based on recommendations, but unfortunately I did some measurements last night and my sump only has a 9" x 9" area for the sump. I already regretted getting the sump, but replacement is not in the cards for now.

So, what is a good second choice? My current thought is the 220 Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer. Any other recommendations?

I would use a HOB Octopus before I would waste my $ on a CSS. That skimmer is not enough for a 125g tank IMO. An Octo BH 500L is only $200 and would be a vast improvement over that CSS, and at basically the same price.

I believ the HOB reccomended had a 7" depth. I do not have that room available either.

How about a stand alone skimmer not for in sump use? I am thinking of piping from my tank to my basement to keep all filtration. If I did this I would just have a large tub for a refugium and would likely do an external skimmer.

You could certainly do that although it's much more work. Also, the return pump is gonna have to be quite large and expensive to push water up to your tank. The benefit would be that you could have a much bigger sump/refugium at a much lower cost. If I could i would do the same thing and have a 50g sump.

How about the following? Seems like it could be used like a HOB/HOS or stand alone.

Turboflotor 1000 Multi

Capacity seems good for my 125 even if I add a fiarly large external refugium.

they are a decent skimmer. i dont like mine anymore though. im looking to buy a new one. they do the job. it does pull thick skimmate out. i just dont like the setup of it.

I believ the HOB reccomended had a 7" depth. I do not have that room available either.
FYI, a HOB skimmer hangs on the back of your tank, not the sump. Unless the back of your tank is right up against a wall, it will work.

My tank is 3-4" from the wall. Since the tank is reef ready, I did not leave much space. Besides more space equals more room for the kids to get into trouble back there.

Thank you all for the advice. I ended up deciding to move my tank, build a DIY100 gal sump and then went with the MSX250. I believe this should be able to handle just about anything I can do with my 125.

Here is a re-post from my sump build thread. Just testing the pumps out here. Sump is no where near being ready yet.

DSCF1379_edited.jpg

Back