Protein Skimmer Suggestions

BigFishy

Reefing newb
Hi,

I'm building a sump tank for my new 70 gallon reef tank with three compartments and I'd like some input on protein skimmers. I've spent tons of time reading reviews and options, but I'm a little stumped with to much info. My setup is below

Compartment one ...
Sock and Skimmer

Compartment two ...
Live Rock/Micro Algae w/ UV light

Compartment three ...
Pump.

As of now I'm leaning towards the Reef Octopus NWB 150. I might step up to the i-Tech 100, but not sure. Any input would be great.

Thanks!

reef octopus i a great skimmer i love mine, i know a lot of my lfs use em also, dont know much about the i-tech tho

bigger is better i think for reef tanks some people will go for a skimmer as high as 2x what tank they have. id say go for the 150

also depending on your setup if you wana put pod's your fuge compartment a uv steralizer will kill the bad and good stuff that goes in it from my understanding

also the new cone skimmer desighns are said to be better so i wuld recomend that style. i have hurd good feedback about them :D

Could build an algae scrubber, about 25 bucks and they can replace a skimmer, theres a whole section and article on here about it.

Could build an algae scrubber, about 25 bucks and they can replace a skimmer, theres a whole section and article on here about it.

I think a big ball of cheato with strong light on it is just as good as an algae scrubber. I have no skimmer or reactors --just a fuge with lots of cheato and my 'trates are always at zero.

I think a big ball of cheato with strong light on it is just as good as an algae scrubber. I have no skimmer or reactors --just a fuge with lots of cheato and my 'trates are always at zero.

Me too. I haven't run a skimmer since the beginning of the summer. My fuge takes care of it. I do think I'm going to try to build a scrubber soon though. I want to see what all the fuss is about!

You don't want any macro algae in your display tank, unless you keep it separate from your rock, like in an HOB fuge. Macroalgae can spread too quickly and take over. Do you have a refugium to put it in? Or, if you don't, you can take a plastic tupperware container thing and punch holes in it for water flow and keep that in your tank.

MAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ... so i'm taking apart my old smaller tank to build the sump in it for the new bigger tank. Originally the small tank was a fresh water tank with a heater built into the filter. I noticed the heater is being held together by two copper connectors on each side (4 total) that are eroding. I'm assuming that is why I couldn't keep any snails in my tank for longer than two days. MAN I want to throw this out the window right now!!!

Hi Bifferwine ... I was thinking of putting the micro algae in the sump tank on top of live rock in there w/ a light. It'll have it's own compartment in the sump. I assume that is the way to do it, correct?

Back