Protein skimmer?

Marke86

Coral Junkie
Well I went to the LFS and I saw a protein skimmer for a 50 to 70 gallon for 120$ but I went online and saw one for 34 $ for a 20 gallon to 30 gallon that was air driven "which I have no Idea what that means" but I do know the difference between 119.99 and 34 plus shiping. If anyone out there knows of a good pr- skimmer under 60 bucks please help I understand the function of a pr- skimmer but I dont know the mechanics so I dont know what works good and what doesnt work good. I have a 29 gallon tank and about six inches of fish total. I also heard with a pr- skimmer I wouldnt have to do water changes every two weeks? Anybody know of any good skimmers? or websites?

Thanx
Mark

Even with a skimmer you should do a 10% water change every week. Which is not bad only 3 gal a week for you.

60 bucks or under is a pretty small amount of money to spend on such an important piece of equipment. I think I got my coralife super skimmer for like 119.00$ on sale at fosters. Spend some extra cash and get a decent one. Even when you ugrade if you ever to yet a big tank you'll be set for the skimmer.

There really aren't any good skimmers out there for that price. Don't get sucked into spending money on a cheap skimmer now, you will just have to replace it in a few months. If you can't afford a good one now, I'd save up until you can. You can get a very good skimmer in the $100 to $150 range.

And no, using a protein skimmer won't eliminate the need for water changes.

I just went to the LFS and just read this forum I probally would have taken your advice if ide been more patient I found an oceanic pr- skimmer for the 29g nano cube for 40 bucks. I bought it do you think with that and 2 50 gallon filters with Carbon and phosphate changes once a month be sufficent?

Last edited:
What kind of tank is yours? is it a bio cube? If not and its meant to go in one it might make too many micro bubbles if its used as just a hang on skimmer... but I'm not familiar with it or your tank. I'd see if you can return it before too late and find a good one online. Fosters doesnt have the coralife super skimmers on sale right now, but I got my 125gallon one for a bit over 100 bucks, and its normally like 175. You could get the 65 gallon one for like 100$ and it works as hang on or in sump. Should be adequate for a tank that size.

Please rephrase the question... with the 2 hang on back filters with phosban and carbon you want to only do water changes once a month? or you want to know if its ok to change the carbon and phosban once a month? It all depends on what you use, every brand should have directions on it. Carbon i believe is once a month, and i've never used phosban really.

yah its once a month I took the getto pr- skimmer back u guy were right its only made for biocube oh well I got my money back. Im thinking about the coral life super skimmer is that an overhang skimmer?

yah its once a month I took the getto pr- skimmer back u guy were right its only made for biocube oh well I got my money back. Im thinking about the coral life super skimmer is that an overhang skimmer?

Yep.Its hard to beat them for the price,and the 65 will be perfect for your tank.

I would recomend the coralife as a minimum with the next choice an AquaC Remora which is half again more in cost ($179). Cheaper to run and smaller and less obtrusive, but possibly a little less effective. Most skimmers are made for larger tanks, as a small reef tank is much less forgiving than a larger one therefore they are not near as common. Until around 10 years ago successful reef tanks smaller than around 50 gallons were very few and far between. A Coral Super Skimmer 65 gallon for $45 sure beats the standard price of $100 plus. Doubt that Yote would sell his CSS for that!

Last edited:
dont buy a prizm my not working very well i think im goin to get a new one this weekend ive had fish for like 3 days and it hasnt started to buble the littlest bit

thanx fat man for the advice anybody else got anything to say about the AquaC Remora protein skimmer they got one for 230 with a drain hose and it would fit right on the back of my tank! I dont like the coral life one because I dont have a sump or a place to put one.

Back