Pump help....Please

putter

Reefing newb
Here is the deal, special ordered a fuge/sump that would fit a Gen X 6000 return pump....no problem I was told, we can build that for you.....so now it is all here and the pump does fit in the return portion of the sump but, the removable wall they built does not fit when the pump is installed:frustrat::frustrat:. So now I need to find a pump that puts out at least 1100 GPH that is no more than 6 inches wide and 4 inches tall, is quiet and will perform well, any ideas?

Check a mag 12(1200gph) dimension or go even smaller to a mag 9.5(950gph).They are good,reliable pumps that aren't to expensive.Quiet if use in sump.

Did you order the sump to fit the GenX because you already have it??? If so I would complain to the people who said they could build a sump to fit it!

If you have to live with it, I would look for a different pump. How big is this sump? 1100gph through anything smaller than +100 gallons is asking for problems IMO.

Last edited:
from what I have read, the flow through the sump should be 10x the volume of the main tank, right? The sump is only 20 gallon and the main tank is 105, LOL don't tell me I am getting a royale screwing on this! And yes the sump was built to house the pump, not becuase I already had the pump, but because the pump was recomended and my understanding was to try to push 10x tank volume per hour through it. Not to late to change now, just need to know how far out of whack things are, LOL, NEWBIES GEESH!!!

I dont believe in the 10 tanks/hour through the sump rule. In your case, you would be running over 1000 gph through a 20 gallon sump. This equates to over a 50X flow rate through the 20!

At that kind of speed you will have to employ all sorts of tricks to not get microbubbles. You will also see poor skimmer performance due to so much turnover. And with the overflows running at that much volume it will be loud.

I personally would shoot for more like 500 gph through that sump.

So really what I need is a larger sump, which by the sounds of it I don't have room for in the stand that is coming with the DT. So your suggestion works for me, just want to try to do it right the first time.

Last edited:
The tank will be a 105 and 20 gallon sump, turns out I had the wrong line of thought, I will be looking to replace the genX 6000 with something smaller, but the butt head that built the fuge (custom built to fit the 6000) is still going to be on the hook for somthing!!!! Perhaps a portion of the cost to build a "custom" fuge should be returned! Thanks for the help in this, I can just imagine the curves in the road ahead will surely lead me back here for more advice on many other issues.

Back