Purple Tang = friend, may...

new2reef

Reefing newb
Hey out there! So I have to admit even after doing countless hours of research I was dupped by the LFS owner. I arrived to buy turbo snails and walked out with a small Purple Tang. Unfortunantly my tank is 3wks old and my only other tank mates are a pair of Ocellaris Clowns-no enenome. My wife and I are considering sacrificing our money and taking back the PT, but I would like to keep him if possible. After extensive research last night I realize that I must sound like a fool for purchasing him in the first place--tank size and lack of other tank mates.

60 Gallon 48x18x13 with 70lbs of LR and 100lbs LS. The scape is an open design with plenty of caves and arches.

Besides taking him back, what other fish could I add (at a later date) that would compliment the current situation. I do plan on having polyps, mushrooms, and enenomes-LPS/SPS.

Any information is helpful, and I am willing to take some slack for possibly creating a bad environment, which is far from my intentions.

Absolutely take him back to the store. Even though he is tiny, it is still very stressful for them to be in a small tank.

Check out Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for some ideas.

Did you cycle your tank with the clowns?

No, we did not cycle the tank with clowns. I believe this to be inhuman, which is not the purpose of creating this environment. Tank ran for 2 weeks with LR and LS before we added the clowns. We tested the water daily and all is and was inline. Before we added them we dosed with Dr. Tims One and Only as well.

I believe we are coming to the realization that we will have to take him back; credit or no credit. We have been trying to do this without learning from our own mistakes, seems that is inevitable now.

I would absolutely not give that fish back to the LFS if they're not going to give you a credit. Doing that just allows them to profit twice from giving you bad advice and selling you a fish they shouldn't have. Instead, if they won't give you a credit, get on Craigslist and your local area reef forums and try selling it there.

+1 Everyone

Just a warning about the anemone, they dont do well in young tanks. They require pristine water conditions and stability, two things rarely found in young tanks. I would wait around a year until you get one. Also they require higher than average lighting, so make sure you buy a fixture that can support a nem down the road. Finally, clowns dont require a nem to live, and there is no guarantee that they will be hosted by the nem anyways

+1 Everyone

Just a warning about the anemone, they dont do well in young tanks. They require pristine water conditions and stability, two things rarely found in young tanks. I would wait around a year until you get one. Also they require higher than average lighting, so make sure you buy a fixture that can support a nem down the road. Finally, clowns dont require a nem to live, and there is no guarantee that they will be hosted by the nem anyways

We are running 3X48" TrueLumen LED Pro strips- 1x12,000k, 1xFusion 50/50, 1xAtenic Blue. This is more than the manufacture suggests, which is why we added the fusion. The bullseye mushroom that we found on the LR we bought is flurishing so far, and the star polyps seem to be doing well. We did a lot of research on lighting, and after hours and hours we are satisfied with our choice. Originally we were going to get the AI fixtures,, X2, but decided against the added cost; not that TrueLumen were cheap. We also looked at AquaticLife T5 4 bulb fixtures, but I have a canopy and didnt want to struggle keeping the thing from burning up. I am probably going to add another 12k or fusion down the line.

We will be waiting on the anenome and working on stocking the tank with the appropriate fish, although this tang is amazing.

Thanks

I would absolutely not give that fish back to the LFS if they're not going to give you a credit. Doing that just allows them to profit twice from giving you bad advice and selling you a fish they shouldn't have. Instead, if they won't give you a credit, get on Craigslist and your local area reef forums and try selling it there.

I tend to agree with you. I am disappointed with this owner as he should know better. It bothers me that he obviously doesn't care about the fish after they leave his store, and even though I have spent almost $500 in his store with more to come he still is trying to lead me to incorrect purchases. WHY CANT THEY TELL THE TRUTH!!

Back