Quarantine Tanks

Do you Quarantine your fish 2-4 weeks before adding them to the display tank?

• Everytime

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Sometime

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Dip and add to display

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Float and release

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
Wondering.
Who uses a quarantine tank for new fish that show no visable signs of illness? What I have found doing my research says quarantine for 2-4 weeks. Do you?

1.Everytime
2.Sometime
3.Dip and put in display
4.Float and release

I rarely buy new fish and i have a large tank..... so i roll the dice and float and release. Most of the fish i buy would stress in a small QT anyways. If I ever get into really expensive corals I will quarantine those for sure. I have seen monti eating nudibranchs that hide on a monti and will destroy the entire DTs montipora population. And there is really no natural way of ridding these things. just have to start over.

I quarantined every fish I get for at least 3 weeks. If I didn't see any signs of parasites I wouldn't do any treatment. For 20 years this method worked and I never had a fish in my tank get ich.
The only thing I do different now is I treat every fish for internal parasites/worms since I lost a few anthias from what I believe were internal parasites/worms.

all the fish that i buy get qt at the lfs for 4 to 5 weeks until they are sold i pushed the wrong button but i usually just float and release. the lfs has copper in the tanks and a large 4 bulb uv on the return side of the system. if one tank has something nothing gets from that tank to a different one.

That's a good LFS that takes the time to qt their fish. There used to be a LFS near me that did that too, but they closed....lol.
I hope your not just dumping the fish in your tank with the water that has copper in it.

no no i use a bucket and dumo the fish in a net then rinse them off i another bucket of water from my tank then in the tank they go. i never add water from a different system even if it is from a invert or coral tank.

an iodine dip will take care of them alexander
Not completely true dustin, You have no idea where eggs have gone and things of that nature and they can reproduce rapidly, and the only thing they will eat is montipora, so usually its a losing battle until all your monti are gone, you then have to wait until your are sure that all the nudibranchs haved died off via starvation before you can begin to keep montipora again.

( I know somebody locally that just lost thousands of dollars in coral because of this very reason.)

Usually,when the LFS gets a fish I like in,I'll mark it on hold and watch it for a couple of weeks there.And since we treat the FO displays,I consider it as good as quarantine.
No problems with ick since I got into the hobby.

yes, i too quarantine any new fish for at least 2 weeks. I already learned my lesson and wont risk Ich again. although i haven't bought a new fish in over 6 months.

I'm going to QT every fish I get from now on. I had a firefish a long long time ago and I didn't QT basically because I only had it and my clown. The firefish wouldn't eat and died a week or so later. It's helpful to QT the fish to get them accustomed to what you're going to be feeding them as well as monitoring for disease.

I buy most of my fish from Liveaquaria's Divers Den.Anything locally will get quarantine,I too have lost anthias to what appears to be worms.Its way to common for anthias and many fishes that carry internal parasites with no visible signs.

Kudos on buying from the Drs. I love their supply site and Liveaquaria. I got my live rock on eTropicals back when they still sold rock on that site.. it was great quality. I'm definitely ordering my corals from them when my system's ready.

Oh really? Hahah, I had no idea. They pretty much had everything that Liveaquaria had anyways, just a few different corals I think. Still, the Drs run a pretty good business.

Great feedback so far everyone. I thought this might open up some good discussion and so far it has. I currently have 2 quarantine tanks set up. Both 30gal each. Thought that would be a good idea as I have way to many tanks and since I am beginning a large tank I know the fish could potentially be much larger comming in. A couple weeks ago I traded for some items and got rid of my clowns. I got a flame angel and two fire fish and some coral. Brought them home and slowly acclimated them and placed them in the QT tank. Less than 12hrs later the Flame is belly up. The firefish did great and they are now in the display. Sucks the flame died but I was very glad it never made it to the display.
Keep the votes comming.

Back