Question about live rock........

what does everyone think about the reef saver dry rock? Thats looking to be about the best deal that i have seen so far.. I have maybe 25lbs of pre-existing live rock, so i have to wonder how long it will take for this stuff to get seeded and start doing the tank some good...

I've not seen that reef saver stuff,but I'm guessing its just dry base rock,which is fine.
It usually dont long for base to seed and become live.

I got some base rock from ReefCleaners.org they have free USPS shipping for orders over $100. I ordered 60 lbs, they sent me some nice pieces it just took a little over a week to get because USPS shipping was slow, but that was fine cause it was free.

hey i think i might have read or already asked this question, but with the light system i have and the stuff im able to have under my light system, what should my lighting schedule be? (like what time should i turn on my actinics, turn on my 10k's)......oh and for those that dont know i have 2-10k's and 2-blue actinics all which are 96 watts each..........

You could probably keep most soft corals.
Its more natural to just the lights for around 12 total a day.My actinics come on at 9am and go off at 9pm.The halides come on at 12pm and run till 4pm.

ok thanks, well yote since i dont have halides and just PC's should i leave my 10k's on longer than your halides due to them not being as powerful? Also i have been reading alot of books on the break-in process and some people are saying to leave on the lights so that it will help the algae blooms along.....not sure what to listen too....lol? One more thing i am starting to see small little patches of red hair algae on my LR, atleast i think its algae.

Well,I'm slowly bringing up the length of time my halides are on.But I only plan to burn them 6 hours a day with at least one day a week with just actinics burning.
When I ran PCs both actinics and whites were on for 10 hours a day.But I kinda think its a personal choice.I like the dawn to dusk effect and how my corals and fish respond to it.Plus I figure 10 to 12 hours of light a day is probably more natural with it starting off with more of an actinic and building to bright mid-day then fading back out.
As for the light and algae blooms,the long the lights burn,the more algae can grow.Turn the lights completely off for 3 or 4 days and see how much the algae dies off.

thanks for the tip on the lights, Yote. well i dont have my lights on at all cuz i didnt want to turn them on cuz i keep getting different answers on whether to keep them on or not. Also i dont have any algae problems except i see little patches of red hair. Is that good or bad?

Theres no such thing as an algae free tank.Weather its bryopsis,hair algae,turf,or just a bit of film.A small patch aint nothing to worry about.Its when it starts covering all the rock and corals that it gets bad.
Think about what things like tangs and rabbitfish eat in the wild.Plus the pods use the algae for food and places to breed.
Go ahead and run your lights.Just dont start em at 12 hours from day one.Start em at like 5 or 6 hours and bump it up a few minutes each week.

About the live rock I live in the Fla keyes and 3 wks ago I got ripped off on Ebay for some live rock. As I was looking on the internet came across a place just 20 miles down the road from me. I was able to go to the facility and hand pic my own pieces and the owner was nothing short of being the best with his service. I have nothing to do with the company just want to give credit where credit is due. His websuite is Live Rock USA .com Great prices good people. Awesome rock.

hey how much flow should be in a 120 gallon tank? If i get Koralia 1's 2's or 3's how many of each one should i get. Which one should i get?

hey how much flow should be in a 120 gallon tank? If i get Koralia 1's 2's or 3's how many of each one should i get. Which one should i get?

WeLLLL
I had 4 K4s in my 75gal.
In my 125,I'm running 4 K4s and 4 K3s.You want enough flow to keep detritus in suspension so it goins into your overflows and out of the tank.

what do you all think about this claim from reefcleaners:
This rock is free of organics except the dust that may settle on it during transport. Because of this it can be added to an established tankw ithout causing a cycle.

should i still plan to soak it in a garbage can for a while before adding it to my tank, or can i just rinse and stack in the tank?

I cannot imagine that there would be no dieoff during shipping. Is this really live, or is it dead dry base rock?

Back