Question about live rock........

I cannot imagine that there would be no dieoff during shipping. Is this really live, or is it dead dry base rock?

It's dry base rock so there is no life on it. Unless I'm missing something I don't see how it can cause a cycle.

I used some of this rock for my new build. I would just suggest the rock be sprayed off real good before you put it in your tank. Dumb me I did not rinse mine of before adding it to my tank and I had a lot of rock dust settling all over the tank. The rock had a lot of dust on it that floated around in the tank settled all over the place including the bottom of my sump. But I was very happy with the rock I got.

Thats basically what I used for base rock.
No,Its not as porous as dryed out live rock.But it does have quiet a few pores in it.
And all you'd have to do is give it a good high pressure rinse and add it to the tank.

well, i've spent most of the day reading the 200+ pages of stuff about making your own LR from salt and cement and great stuff and all sorts of things...

I think i'm just gonna get me a sack of portland and some rock salt and give it a go... at this point my eyes, head, brain, neck and everything else hurts from sitting here so long and reading all that...

heres the link to the tail end of what i think ended up being a 7 way split of 40 pages each split on making your own...
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1286738&perpage=25&pagenumber=28

Last edited:
well, i've spent most of the day reading the 200+ pages of stuff about making your own LR from salt and cement and great stuff and all sorts of things...

I think i'm just gonna get me a sack of portland and some rock salt and give it a go... at this point my eyes, head, brain, neck and everything else hurts from sitting here so long and reading all that...

heres the link to the tail end of what i think ended up being a 7 way split of 40 pages each split on making your own...
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1286738&perpage=25&pagenumber=28

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. Seems to be a slow process from the few pages I skimmed through.

well, thats alright, its like i've allways said, time i've got, money, not so much...
i mean really, how hard can it be, i already own a cement mixer....

well i made my first 4 rocks today, sorry i forgot to take pictures of the making process. but when thier cured enough(the cement) then i'll pick them up and take some... really wasnt hard, just mix it up and get a nice thick paste, mix in the salt and then form...

thats pretty cool.....curious to see what it looks like. Hope it works out for ya, but if it doesnt i bought my live rock from this place: gulf-view.com This guy is very nice and helps you make some good decisions and also the rock I bought was only $1.99lb. I bought 120lbs from him and next day air shipping only ran me like 60 some bucks.

Back