Question About Power Head

gator

Reefing newb
Hi,
We just put our fish in for the first time today. We have a 60 gallon saltwater reef tank. We have one Koralia EVOLUTION 1050 Aquarium Pump Powerhead Hydor in the upper corner of the tank. We also have a 55/70 filter. I have a question. It looks like the 2 clownfish (especially) and the 1 sail tang are swimming hard into a current being formed by the powerhead. The 2 clownfish look like they are swimming in place sometime. Is that normal? Is the powerhead to powerful? How will we know if the fish are comfortable? Thank you for your help.

Im sure they are fine, my tang loves the current, and clowns are just generally weird.
Now on to more things, one being that your single powerhead will not be enough. You want at least 40x the volume of you tank in turnover. Secondly, a 60 gallon is no where near big enough to house a Sailfin Tang They need ATLEAST 6 feet of swimming space. Or a 125 gallon.

thank you. so how do you position the two powerbeads? Opposite sides of tank facing long ways (our tank is 4 feet long)? At the top near the water line?

Is there a point as which they get too tired that I should look for?

Nah they should be fine, no need to worry. But I think you need to get more powerheads. People have preferences of placement, I would aim one up to the surface for oxygen exchange, and the other is personal choice.

I would put them both in the back corners, facing the front glass at an angle. They should be high enough to create a ripple on the water's surface.

Back