question about water changes

wyatt7366

Reefing newb
someone help me i have a 30 gal tank thats been setup for about a year im running a power filter on the back no sump no skimmer and no live rock the water stays crystal clear nitrates are at within range every time i check it the tank has several pieces of dead coral crushed coral substrate has a maroon clown 3 damsels a porcupine puffer and snowflake eel chocalate chip and gree brittle star and one small asterea snail in it and in that years time i have never done a water change yet everyone i talk to does a water change a couple times a month or more am i just lucky or am i overlooking something

I think most people do water changes once a week or at least every other week. I have a 46 gallon w/ live rock and I do a 5g water change every Saturday.

There are macromolecules present in your water that are only going to be removed through water changes. Smaller molecules are going to be removed through skimming, but as you don't have a skimmer they are going to stay in the tank until removed. A 3 gallon water change every week is going to help your fish out quite a bit. It is very difficult to determine the amount of dissolved organics that are present in your water. So doing water changes every week will ensure that your tank is exporting nutrients. You may also want to think about getting a hang on back skimmer. This will help to remove organics in your water and raise your ORP (oxidation reduction potential) which is a good thing.

Heres how I think of water changes.
Its like oil changes in your vehicle.You dont want to wait untill there's a rod knocking before you change the oil.So why wait untill you have water quality problems to do a water change?
Just my 2 cents.

I recommend doing a 10% water change weekly or 20% every two weeks. Keeps things fresh and will prevent problems in the future. If you do not have crazy algae problems and your nitrates are close to zero, I'd say you are really really really lucky.

I recommend doing a 10% water change weekly or 20% every two weeks. Keeps things fresh and will prevent problems in the future. If you do not have crazy algae problems and your nitrates are close to zero, I'd say you are really really really lucky.

Pot calling the Kettle black biffy.

I said I RECOMMEND doing it!!! I push my luck. I know it. But I'm fully aware of the risks going into it, that's the difference.

Back