questions about oxygenating my 55gallon

brandon17617

Reefing newb
I have a 55 gallon standard tank with about 60lbs of live rock. I had a maxi jet 900 mounted on the top left corner of the tank to oxygenate the tank but all of the sudden it stopped pulling air into the tank. I noticed that it stopped pulling air in through the tube (aireator) shortly after or right after I did a water change... not sure if that makes a difference. Does anyone know or have any ideas why it would have done this?

As far as putting oxygen in the tank now I have an air pump with a bubble bar. The pump says it is good for tanks up to 93 gallons but I read on another forum that the "micro bubbles" are bad for my livestock?

So basically I am wondering what is the best and most efficient way to introduce oxygen into my tank? And what happened with the maxi jet? Btw I have and emperor 400 hang on filter so that helps a little bit with oxygen.​

The best way to oxygenate your tank is to make sure you have plenty of flow and point one of your powerheads at the surface of your tank so that the water is rippling.

You should get rid of all those bubbling things, that is not a good way to oxygenate the water because it also introduces CO2, making it harder to get O2 in the water, lowering your pH and its generally unhealthy for your animals anyways.

Also should ditch the filter and instead get a skimmer. Unless you are cleaning the filter every 3 or 4 days, its going to cause you more issues. The problem with those filters is that they dont remove what they trap from the water column, it just sits with the water flowing around it so the now rotted particles can flow back into your tank. A skimmer will totally remove the particles from your system.

Saltwater is saltwater, its very different from fresh. Keep freshwater ideas and freshwater inventions with their respective tanks.

+1 lil fish...just point your powerhead towards the surface to get a good rippling effect, and get rid of the pump with bubbler.

Back