Quick sun coral question

dixiegirl21191

Reef Junkie
I got a small sun coral the other day. I haven't seen it open up yet but it does "puff" up a little bit when I feed the tank. I tried to spot feed it but it didn't open. Today I noticed tiny yellow flecks close to almost each mouth. What are they? Could it be spawning?

IMAG2195.jpg

There aren't as many yellow spots now, there was a lot more. And the dark purple spots on the right side is where a little piece of my frogspawn "detached" and landed there and stung the bejesus out of it. :(

When the sun coral is open it looks like yellow flowers so of say the yellow dots are the sun coral starting to come out. I'd give it some time to get used to the tank and keep I tryin to spot feed it. Eventually it will come out to feed.

+1 beeguiles. Corals spawn by releasing poof of white smoke into the water. You should place the sun coral in the shade. It is non photosynthetic and won't come out fully if it is in the light. You will have to hand feed the polyps every other day or so, as it cannot make its own food from the light. You may only see it opening at night, after the lights go out. If that is the case, then you will have to "train" the coral to open earlier and earlier each time. They are pretty work-intensive corals. :)

I know what its supposed to look like open. The spots looked kind of like pollen. They came from the mouth and floated away. Just wanted to clarify.

Back