Quietest Filtration?

PringlesLFE

Mmm...Salty.
I'm currently using a HOB Emperor 280 filter that my roomate shuts off at night because apparently...it's too much noise? :frustrat:
I'm slowly planning to build a sump with a DIY pvc overflow.

1) Would this be the quietest alternative?
2) If not, what would be a good idea for me?

Sometimes a sump could be loud too...if you have 1-2 lbs of live rock and a good skimmer, that will be enough filtration and quiet enough for you and your roommate. My tank is in my room and I barely hear it at all.

+1 Smitty

1-2lbs of live rock per gallon, so 20-40lbs for your tank, and a good HOB skimmer is all you truly need.

If you decide to go the sump route just know that the overflow can be just as noisy. You could always tell your roommate to suck it up. Where's the tank located?

My 20Long is in the room I share with my roomate but he wants me to move it into the livingroom.
I might not build the sump at all and just go with my 20 lbs of LR and a protein skimmer. Thanks.

In a 20g, you don't really need anything more than good water movement, some LR, and weekly water changes. I'd save the money from buying anything more and put it towards more livestock, or a bigger tank. If you upgrade to a bigger tank, plan on buying a skimmer for it.

If you do go with a sump then the pvc overflow will be completely silent as long as you dont go with a pump over 600gph. I have dual pvc overflow's and they work perfect. There are tricks to make the diy overflows completely quiet if they make noise from the get go. But if your using a small pump you wont have anything to worry about. Mine made a little noise but with a little customizing, they work like a charm.

Just saw this thread...you should just get a new roomate while you're setting up a sump ;)

lol I would love to. Gotta wait until the summer before I move outta this apartment :frustrat:

btw, wontonflip I actually ran into your youtube video of your sump a while ago and I've been modeling mine similar to yours lol.:bowdown:

Back