R/o

markymark

Reefing newb
Question

Does one think it is better to use R/O water or spring water for water changes ?

Since Reverse osmosis removes all trace elements of your water, rather than spring water which is rich those? does one not think it would be better to use spring water rather than R/O also considering the fact that reverse osmosis does not remove some bacteria or Pharmaceuticals that could be detrimental to your tank; also depends on the source of your R/O water.

Mark

Spring water wouldn't be good to use -- you don't want minerals and trace elements in your water. The things that you do want are added back in the correct quantities when you mix it with salt. If you read the labels of salt mixes, most say that they are formulated to be mixed with pure RODI water, and are balanced for use with RO.

You are running your RO unit off of your tap water. Your tap water is chlorinated and is not going to have bacteria in it, and it's very unlikely that it will contain any traces of pharmaceuticals. You are not using your RO unit to purify reclaimed waste water. Traces of pharmaceuticals and endocrine disruptors are found in waste water, not drinking water.

But R/O only filters out trace minerals which are good for your tank and further more even drinking R/O water is bad lol, and reverse osmosis does not remove everything, molecular ions which are focused threw semipermeable membrane which are larger than bacteria and other things, and 70% of water is wasted with this process. I was just curious to what others thought, i never use r/o all mine is from the ocean itself and use mulit processed water as well, i did use r/o at one point in time, but depending on the chemistry of your city's water the Ph present in the r/o can drive your ph down, I would buy r/o rather than use my city s
mark

Trace minerals are not good for your tank, unless they are in the correct quantities. That is why you want to start with pure water -- because the amounts contained in salt are in the correct quantities, meant to be mixed with pure water.

Drinking RO water is not bad -- drinking RODI water is bad. There's a difference between the two. And that's due to the ionic imbalance between the water and the mucous linings in your mouth. Again, once you add salt to that water, the ionic imbalance no longer exists.

Back