Red Algea

yeah, a third of a cube for three fish sounds like a lot to me. i only have five fish and i don't feed anywhere near that much, i just cut a sliver off of two different cubes. it normally takes them a minute or two to eat that.

oh, i thought i was giving them not enough food...but at the same time i thought i had to feed them about twice a day

My Koran Angel eats cyano, but he will also probably eat your corals. I have watched him eat my cyano.

I feed my fish 3-4 times a day (full frozen cubes - usually 5-6 cubes a day)and I can keep my parameters just about perfect. It all depends on the frequency and amount of water changes and your filtration.

Slow down the feeding until you are within ideal parameters and you will find the balance of how much you can feed to fatten up your stock while still keeping good parameters.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

well i only have 3 fish and 10 hermit crabs, so maybe i'm feeding them too much...but i'll cut down on their feeding as well as lightning and see what happens, and i'll keep in mind about that angel you have since i don't have corals, but i heard angels are hard to keep

No way. Angels are SO easy to keep (IMHO), They require good water quality and LOTS of room to swim. The really pretty species require a minimum of 100 gallons to keep happy and some of the most beautiful (queen) need a 180. I love them cuz its like getting two fish in one. you buy them as a large juvenile and they are brilliantly blue and white, then they change into adults and are completly different. Just marvelous to witness.

You could do pygmy angels with ease in your tank, although, they do not eat Cyano.

I've never seen a sea hare eat cyano... At least mine didn't. It's worth a try though, they will eat any other algae you may have, for sure.

is that good or bad, i thought you want algae in your tank
Right now the main algae i have is the red slimy one, but in some parts there's some green algae coming out, i believe the green one is good right?
Also, should i clean the back of my tank or leave it like that so that the algae can grow?

green algae means trouble. Get rid of it by keeping your parameters perfect.

I don't clean my glass on the back of the tank, that way, the snails have something to eat if they get hungry and it looks better than a bunch of cords from my lights.

ok, then i'll go and clean the tank tomorrow, i have green and the red slimy one, so i'll get rid of both of them, and as far as parameters go, it seems like i'm good, so i don't know why i have the algae, maybe too much food??
I'll get the phosphate remover tomorrow

i have never seen or heard of seahares eating cynao. Blue a protien skimmer would be a good investment for you. You dont need to worry about overfeeding as much if you have a good skimmer. I would cut back on the food. suck up as much of the algae as possiable and do a large watr change.

thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it.
I was actually on Ebay looking at protein skimmers as well as canister filters and uv sterilizers. I know my next move is to get a protein skimmer, but should i worry about getting a canister filter and a uv sterilizer?
I was also looking at shrimp, maybe add one or two in my tank, i guess to do some cleaning also. For now i'm sticking with the 3 fish i have plus the 10 hermit crabs, unless a good deal comes by.
Any suggestions on the protein skimmers??

Skip the canister filter. Unless you clean it religiously it will lead to nitrate problems. And they can be hard to keep clean. If you have a good skimmer, there is no need for one anyways. I would not get a UV sterilizer unless I had a problem first, and really needed one. If you are not having a problem with parasites, then I wouldn't bother with one.

Back