Red Honey Damsel

Scientific name, neoglyphidodon bonang. Anyone have any experience with these guys? Coolest looking damsel in my opinion, but I'm not finding a lot of info. Seems they are not real common in the aquarium hobby, but I am not sure if that is because they are just a rarer specimen or no one wants them. The little info I have found leads me to believe they may be the king A-hole of damsels. I never seen one until today and I fell in love. Name is Sheila and is acclimating now.

When I owned and operated a saltwater store I had one in. Sold the same day, the guy came back the next week saying it was a quarter the Size of his other damsels and wanted to return it because it kept chasing all the damsels and pinned his clowns to a corner. Cool looking fish but had one heck of a temper.

Laz, since you mentioned owning a saltwater store I wanted to ask how you made any money doing it. Whenever we go to a local saltwater store here they are either never open and when they are the store never has customers. My husband and I have always wondered how these saltwater places they pay the rent fif rarely open fior business.

I mean, you have to sell allot of fish and corals to pay rent. Hope this question isn't too nosy.

Thanks Lazicki, you are the only person I got any input from including another group I belong to. So far everyone seems to be getting along and it's been over a week. Only issue I had was my starry blenny went crazy and put on his war colors the 1st evening, but now is fine. He is weird like that, any additions that have come after him he turns white and goes into stalker mode at first

It was honestly very difficult. We had three co-owners and we thought we could make it work around our full time work schedules but in the end the time put it wasn't worth the side income. We made a lot of great friends while we were open which is something I miss. I wouldn't mind giving it another shot once I finish school. It's like having a baby it requires 25/8 367 days a year(yes it messed it up on purpose). Hope this helps.

As for the damsel fish and starry blenny, the damsel might have been "in" the blenny's territory. What size is your tank? Fish load? Feeding habits?

55 gallon. Firefish, pajama cardinal, sixline wrasse, 2 black occelaris, starry blenny, and the damsel. Feed frozen cube every other day. Like I said everyone is getting along great. I haven't seen anyone hiding or being banished to the corner or anything like that. The blenny is just weird like that and always has been. He has did the same exact thing with every fish that I have added after him and if I recall the only one there before him was the firefish. He is like the president of the reef and just likes to make sure everyone is going to be a model citizen when they enter his country LOL. He never bullies or shows aggression and doesn't have a particular area he has claimed as his territory. He roams the whole tank, perching on different rocks and corals being very watchful of everything going on including me or any other humans near the tank. Big personality in a little fish.
I would think if I was going to have any bullying issues I would of seen it by now or is it possible for fish to get along then decide they don't like each other? Damsel has been there 9 days now.

I'm always tempted by damsels too, they're cheap, colorful, yadda yadda. Everything I've heard and read, they become a-holes as they mature and as they establish territory. I don't know how long this takes, months? Also, I've heard it will be a problem if you try to add new fish now after him. But, who knows, all fish are different and adding yours to your stocking last but work out great and he might turn out super sweet. My six line was the lone wolf and never bothered any addition after him, a lot of people say six lines are mean. I wish you the best of luck!

+1 Lazicki on that Honey Damsel.
That's one fish that we wont keep at the LFS. We will order them for customers, on the condition that they pick them up when the shipment arrives.
They are complete bastards.

55 gallon. Firefish, pajama cardinal, sixline wrasse, 2 black occelaris, starry blenny, and the damsel. Feed frozen cube every other day. Like I said everyone is getting along great. I haven't seen anyone hiding or being banished to the corner or anything like that. The blenny is just weird like that and always has been. He has did the same exact thing with every fish that I have added after him and if I recall the only one there before him was the firefish. He is like the president of the reef and just likes to make sure everyone is going to be a model citizen when they enter his country LOL. He never bullies or shows aggression and doesn't have a particular area he has claimed as his territory. He roams the whole tank, perching on different rocks and corals being very watchful of everything going on including me or any other humans near the tank. Big personality in a little fish.
I would think if I was going to have any bullying issues I would of seen it by now or is it possible for fish to get along then decide they don't like each other? Damsel has been there 9 days now.

You may get lucky and he stays docile (the damsel I mean). The blenny sounds like a normal one to me. If I didn't have the yellow tang in my system I would add some time of blenny. Neat creatures and yes they have quite the personality.

Back