what do you think about a cross damsel?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
My hubby went to the lfs to get more frozen food today and he came across a cross damsel..they had it named as a honey damsel. He wants to add one more fish to the ten gallon that swims around. We have the hi fin red banded goby and the spotted mandarin now. The goby is tiny. Always stays in his little hole. And the mandarin also stays pretty small and he says on the bottom pretty much. Sometimes I see him on the rocks. This would be the absolute last fish. I know its going to be its stocking limit. I am diligent about my water changes and maintenance so I'm not really worried about that. Is this fish super aggressive like other damsels. Do you think it will go after the goby and mandarin? Here's a picture of what it looks like. Hubby has the fish on hold but they said only until tomorrow so I gotta let them know ASAP. Thanks in advance.

crossijuv.jpg

I'm not sure I'd try it. I just googled this fish to see what I could find out and it sounds like they can be pretty territorial and aggressive, and they also lose color and become pretty drab looking as they age. Also, LA lists most damsels and chromis at 30g. If you're looking for a swimmy fish, I might go with a firefish instead (rated for 10g by LA)

Yea idk I don't want a firefish. Everyone has a firefish. And the jump, I don't have a lid. He would be the last addition so that you lessen the aggression right and he would be the only swimmy fish in the tank. The others I don't even see unless I search for them.

Being the last fish may make it less aggressive than it would be normally, but damsels have been known to harass and kill fish many times their size. You could try it, but it may need to be pulled out. Mandarins are very docile fish, and would not do well with such a mean fish

You are experiencing cloudy water, you are double your fish limit already and you want add a super territorial fish to a way too small tank that is already full?

Yea told them to take it off of hold. It's not really such a good idea.

Little fish, yes my tank is a little cloudy. I just did another water change today and its about 95% clear now. So I'm not worried about the cloudy water. I wouldnt consider my tank being at double my fish limit. They are two very small fish that don't need a lot of space. The goby stays in his hole...all the time. Only comes out to eat. I do weekly water changes so I'm not worried about the bioload either. I come here to ask for advice and see what you guys think. I don't come here to be talked to sarcastically. My husband could have been one of those people who just bought it and didn't do any research but instead he put the fish in hold and had me research it first. You are a very smart girl and I appreciate all advice you have to give but please don't be sarcastic. It's not needed.

when i had my 10g i had a blue velvet damsel and a chromis together... i upgraded and still have the both of them. i had no problems what so ever with my damsel being agressive.

I actually agree with Hannah.

The rules we go by as far as stocking suggestions go are flexible, yes, but not when it comes to a new tank.
While stocking limits do have something to do with "space" for each fish, it is also about bioload. You can do all the water changes you want, but ultimately you will be fighting an uphill battle when it comes to your water quality if you choose to get another fish.
Props to your husband for just putting the fish on hold and not buying it, but research does not mean coming here, asking, and then trying to justify getting the fish anyway.

I think she was more just asking for opinions about it, It never hurts to get a fresh perspective on the situation. Researching on the net i find, gives so many mixed opinions. Leaves me more confused then i was to start with sometimes.I think we have all been caught up in wanting to get something for our tanks but not quite sure if we should. Hell i do, every day. Coming on here and getting some experienced suggestions never hurts. And of course, if we want it bad enough we may fight for it. In the end though, at least with me...experience prevails over my personal wants. :D

+1 Matt

We all know a lot and are not throwing ideas out to challenge the laws of reefing. But we all push the limits of what can be done. However we all know that the rules can be bent and even changed. Look where things were 10 - 20 years ago for fish keeping. With todays equipment we can do things never thought possible. Who knows maybe one of us will come up with something that will change things forever!

Would you rather me not come here first and ask questions and throw my ideas out there as to why I think it could work? I tried to do some googling on the fish and didn't find much. Thats why I asked the people here what they thought. I said what I thought and I thought about what you guys said and decided against getting the fish. I could always just buy first ask later but that doesn't always work out well.

I was basically asking if it was possible for me to have this fish without him killing my other fish. That's what I was worried about. I know this is a new tank but I'm not a newbie. I know how to take care of my tanks and I can pretty much figure out what to do when a problem occurs. I don't think adding another fish is going to cause a bunch of problems.

Yes I did want everyone's opinions. All are welcome. Just be friendly about it. Even if you don't agree.

Would you rather me not come here first and ask questions and throw my ideas out there as to why I think it could work? I tried to do some googling on the fish and didn't find much. Thats why I asked the people here what they thought. I said what I thought and I thought about what you guys said and decided against getting the fish. I could always just buy first ask later but that doesn't always work out well.

I was basically asking if it was possible for me to have this fish without him killing my other fish. That's what I was worried about. I know this is a new tank but I'm not a newbie. I know how to take care of my tanks and I can pretty much figure out what to do when a problem occurs. I don't think adding another fish is going to cause a bunch of problems.

Yes I did want everyone's opinions. All are welcome. Just be friendly about it. Even if you don't agree.

No one said we didn't want you asking questions. And yes, we want your ideas. And no, you are not a newbie.

You did ask if the damsel would be mean (as most are wont to do). However, you prefaced it with conversation about your water changes and maintenance, so that was also addressed in people's responses to you.

If you don't think adding another fish will cause problems in your tank, it is ultimately YOUR tank. You don't have to do what we suggest to you. But rest assured, we don't say no to be mean. We (or I hope the collective we) have nothing but your tank and your livestock's best interests in mind when we suggest things.
So when we don't agree with something you're doing, it is not out of spite. Please remember that.

Yea ik you guys mean well. And I accept everyone's input. I just don't want it to be sarcastic input. That's all.

You are experiencing cloudy water, you are double your fish limit already and you want add a super territorial fish to a way too small tank that is already full?

You don't have to hear it to know someone is being sarcastic. Anybody can tell that it was sarcastic. Either that or it was plain trying to bash me. I'm sure it wasnt an honest question...and if I took it the wrong way im sorry but you could see how I could misunderstand.

You don't have to hear it to know someone is being sarcastic. Anybody can tell that it was sarcastic. Either that or it was plain trying to bash me. I'm sure it wasnt an honest question...and if I took it the wrong way im sorry but you could see how I could misunderstand.

Open minds, padawan. No hate here.

They are mean fish. I think three fish in a 10 gallon is do-able if they are selected carefully. But I wouldn't keep a honey damsel as one of the three. :)

Back