Red Sea Max 130d?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
So I've been thinking about my 75 gallon tank I got off of craigslist a lot. The plumbing wasn't very good so I tried to do my own. It was a complete disaster...

So anyway, that's not really the problem, I could get the pipes to work eventually. The thing is, as most people on the forum know, I'm 12...

The more I think about it the more I think that I should sell the tank and get a smaller one, new. I was looking around and came across the 34 gallon red sea max 130d. So I need everyone's advice on what I should do and if this system is a good choice...

Thank you guys...

I wouldn't get a smaller tank. You will be so limited in fish you can keep. Since you already have the big tank, the cost of re-doing the plumbing is very small. Basically, the cost of the PVC. I'd stick with the bigger tank, especially since you already have it.

I wouldn't get a smaller tank. You will be so limited in fish you can keep. Since you already have the big tank, the cost of re-doing the plumbing is very small. Basically, the cost of the PVC. I'd stick with the bigger tank, especially since you already have it.

I'm not really worried about the pvc...

It's just that I think the 75 gallon tank will be too much expensive to set up and maintain. This is my first tank anyway (I got the eel tank, but my father set it up and it's very low maintenance). It's probably going to take me more than a year and a half to save up enough money for this tank and it would be more like 9 months to save for the smaller one.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the return pump that came with the tank doesn't work... :frustrat:

I would still go with the bigger tank. I think you will be disappointed with the smaller one. Also no matter what you are going to be saving for a long time, so go with something that will keep you happy and occupied for longer. Plus, learn to DIY whatever you can and keep an eye on craigslist. Make sure you can test whatever you buy first or get it from a source you trust.

I agree stick with the larger tank may be a little more cash upfront but will be alot more enjoyable to you down the road...

Hmm, it seems like people are leaning towards the bigger tank side...

Ugh, I don't know what to do, they both have their advantages...

I'll think about it some more...

I downsized from my 110 gallon to the RSM 130D and I love it! I do not miss my old tank ever! Its so easy to maintain and I find I enjoy cleaning it and keeping it looking great...I was starting to resent my big tank.

I do plan on using my 110 or possibly getting a bigger tank for a predator tank in the future but right now my RSM 130D is working for me :mrgreen:

Jenna

I downsized from my 110 gallon to the RSM 130D and I love it! I do not miss my old tank ever! Its so easy to maintain and I find I enjoy cleaning it and keeping it looking great...I was starting to resent my big tank.

I do plan on using my 110 or possibly getting a bigger tank for a predator tank in the future but right now my RSM 130D is working for me :mrgreen:

Jenna

That's kinda what I was thinking. That since I'm a beginner it would be easier to take care of the smaller tank. But I guess I'm not getting in to this hobby to have things easy...

Another thing is college. I'll be going to college in 6 years. I'll probably get some local reefer to take care of my fish but I'd probably getting rid of most of the stuff.

Again, more though...

Okay, I did some calculations...

75 gallon tank (no livestock) with all new stuff except the tank: $1855.25

Red Sea Max 130d (no livestock) with all new stuff: $1096.96

30 gallon tank I got from my grandfather (no livestock) with all new stuff: $967.29

I don't really like the 30 gallon tank idea so much since I was planning on using it as a quarantine and I can't find a stand that matches the color of the rim.

UGH! I just can't decide which way to go! :12:

Last edited:
75 gallon tank (no livestock) with all new stuff except the tank: $1855.25

Make that $2042.24

Another problem with the bigger tank is that it's going to take a lot more corals to fill it up. And at $10 to $40 per coral it's probably going to be over $300 just in corals. If I do go with the smaller tank it'll give me something to look forward to. (I want to set up a 300 gallon + tank in the future.)

I feel like I might be leaning on the smaller tank side because I'm too lazy to set up the big and take care of it...

I'm not sure where you're getting your figures from but there's that seems like a ridiculous total especially since you already have the tank. I setup my 75 with all new equipment and I'd be surprised if I even spent $1500 on it. Also, if money is really that big of an issue then you need to start looking for used equipment, you do not need to buy all brand new stuff.

It's $1455.25 to go since I have the tank...

75tankwithoutlivestock.jpg

scaled.php

I plan on getting some stuff used but those prices vary so I'm just putting an estimate.

Please, anyone who can see flaws in my spreadsheet, help! :ugh:

Well, for the 75 your counting $400 for the tank (you already have it shouldn't be in the total of what you need to spend). Also, your adding all kinds of supplements and test kits that you won't need for the 75 but you didn't add them to the total for the RSM, and the same goes for the sand (you didn't add that to the RSM total).

Now for your list, if you're planning on 3 powerheads for the 75 I think you'll be better off with 3x750s instead $39 each drops that total to $117. You can get an MH fixture from Odyessa for $60-100 cheaper.

Well, for the 75 your counting $400 for the tank (you already have it shouldn't be in the total of what you need to spend). Also, your adding all kinds of supplements and test kits that you won't need for the 75 but you didn't add them to the total for the RSM, and the same goes for the sand (you didn't add that to the RSM total).

Now for your list, if you're planning on 3 powerheads for the 75 I think you'll be better off with 3x750s instead $39 each drops that total to $117. You can get an MH fixture from Odyessa for $60-100 cheaper.

The RSM comes with test kits and supplements and sand.

I was originally planning on getting the oddysea but I was worried about the quality and the heat. I also heard I would need to replace the bulbs since the included ones are poor quality. I also heard that the extendable legs are too big for a 48" tank. People suggested using a fan for the heat but I wasn't sure how that would work. And I don't want to spend over $200 on a chiller...

Wow if I get the oddyssea lights and the 750 powerheads then it's $1310.26 (without tank).

Is it okay to get two 1050 powerheads instead? That would save me $30.

The RSM comes with test kits and supplements and sand.

I was originally planning on getting the oddysea but I was worried about the quality and the heat. I also heard I would need to replace the bulbs since the included ones are poor quality. I also heard that the extendable legs are too big for a 48" tank. People suggested using a fan for the heat but I wasn't sure how that would work. And I don't want to spend over $200 on a chiller...

Well regardless you won't need all those supplements or test kits so they could come off that list (you'd only need a basic SW test kit, which you should already have).

The bulbs that fixture comes with are no worse then the ones that the Nova come with (any fixture you buy will come with lesser quality bulbs). I can't answer about the new legs but, quality wise it's a fine fixture I've had mine for a year now with no issues. I've also had no issues with heat, and I don't have any fans or cooling measures set up for my tank.

Back