Reef Rock has cobweb looking sutff on it - ???

CMOS

Reefing newb
Hey All,

I just recently did some minor rearranging in my reef tank and noticed when I moved a second tier rock that the rock under it is partially covered with what looks like, well, a milky whiteish cobweb-looking substance.

What the heck is this, and is it a problem?

Thanks,
CMOS

I'm guessing that its the webs of vermitid snails.Their harmless for the most part,but the webs can irritate nearby corals and cause them to stay closed.

Take a turkey baster and blast the rick with water. When I do this the snail's webs come out all over the place. They are filter feeders.

They live in small tubes.So you probably wont actually see the worm itself.But you can see the tubes.

hmm, whenever something dies in my tank a "Spiderweb" substance always covers it. and it could be like in the middle of my crushed coral too... idk I don't think it would be those snails b/c there are no "tubes" nearby.... I'm thinking it is something that feeds of dead substances. not really sure what tho.... just a thought.

I just had a fish die lately and I left it in there... Currently there is a "Spiderweb" substance encompassing whats left of the fish's body and my gigantic brittle star has to battle through the web to get pieces off the fish.... Lol.

Hmm, interesting. Somewhat of a mystery.

Any other thoughts? Any reason why I should not try to brush off this "cobweb" like substance?

CMOS

100_1897.JPG

You can see the cobweb looking mucus on my coral here. This is a pic of the Vermetid snail.

vermetid.jpg

Do you have a sixline wrasse,they make and sleep in a cocoon.They usually eat it in the morning,but it can be left also.

Back