Reefer noob here

MikMcgyver

Vlamingi owner 4 life!
Hey all,

Hows it goin? Just got my 12 gallon aquapod cycled and a couple of fish kickin it and have a few questions. Here is my current setup... about 15 lbs of LR and 20lbs of LS. Rio800 pump, no bioballs, only filterfloss in the back tank to catch the big stuff.
Param:
ammonia 0
salinity 1.0124
nitrite 0
nitrate 5

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_00032.jpg

Nemo...

DSC_0003.jpg

Marlin.. I know, real original names...

Now that I am completely addicted to SW tanks I want to upgrade to about a 90 gallon tank w/ sump. I have a tank picked out, plus a sump w/ built in refugium. My question is lighting.. Do I have to go MH or can i get away with a decent T5 setup? Also what kind of skimmer would you all recommend? I will start out as a FOWLR then turn to a mixed reef setup later as funds become more available..

I also would like to convert my aquapod to a QT tank. Is there anything special I need to do to it or just leave it as is and keep it seperate from my main tank?

Hi and welcome! Nice setup so far. Be sure to post pics as your tank progresses.

T5s are fine. I run those on my 55 gallon tank and can keep anemones, SPS, LPS, everything. I haven't tried a clam yet, though. On my new 240 gallon tank I bought a MH/T5 combo light fixture. But in my opinion, you can keep pretty much anything you want under T5s. And they are cheaper and run cooler than MH. With a 90 gallon tank you might run into problems with depth though, T5s don't penetrate as deep as MH so for corals that like more intense lighting, be sure to put them closer to the top of the tank.

For a QT tank, all you really need is a heater, small filter and some water movement. I would recommend NOT using live rock or any substrate on the bottom. This will make it easier to clean out. A couple pieces of PVC should give new fish a place to hide and rest.

Can i reuse my existing sand and LR in my new tank? and as far as PVC goes, just some random bigger pieces in the bottom so they can swim thru? hide in? 2"-3" pieces?

Ya, was going to do about 100lbs of LS and 100lbs of LR. Do I have to worry about the toxins in the sand when I transfer it over or is my sand not old enough to be worrying about that stuff?

I agree with Biff and Red on the T-5s.I'm running them on my 75 and keep SPS corals along with an anemone and a clam.

As for moving your sand over to a new tank.
Just take and vacuum out the sand the same as you would the gravel in a fresh water tank.That will take care of the crud thats built up.

Welcome to the reef,and good luck.

There aren't going to be any "toxins" per se in your sand. Nutrients and detritus, yes, but that's such a small amount of sand to be moving over into a much larger tank, it won't make a difference. Using the old sand and rock is a good idea too, it will lessen the chance that you will have a big cycle in your new tank.

I have 3" PVC elbows in my qtank for hidding but I also have a piece of cultures LR and a little sand also. I just hated the look of it without any sand or rock in it.

Thx for the info folks, cant wait till I get the new tank. Will take a ton of Pics and start a build thread on it.. Stay tuned for details

Your Nano looks great and congratulation on the 90g.

My choice for lighting is the Aquactinic TX5 fixture.It has individual reflectors which increase the lighting even more.For an in sump skimmer,I like the Octopus,there fairly inexpensive and everybody seem to give it rave reviews.

Whatever you choose,good luck and welcome to the site.

Back