Refugium

stagofdoom

Phi Kappa Psi
So tonight I was cleaning out some of my chaeto that has started to take over my refugium and I was noticing how disgusting it looks.

So what I was wondering was, would it be ok if I unhooked my refugium and washed the sand and rocks?

It looks like there is like a quarter of an inch of diatom looking stuff on top of the sand so I was wanting to clean it out because it cant be helping my tank.

Also how long should I be running the lights?

Thanks.

I run my lights 24/7. You could unhook it and wash it out sure. personally I don't like disturbing a deep sand bed though. Just cause it's ugly don't mean it's no good. The brown junk on top of the sand could be cleaned though. I'd like to see a pic of that stuff. I got nothing but cheato and hair algae on my sand bed.

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

What I was thinking about doing was taking it out, taking the rocks and some water out and putting those in a bucket.
Then taking all of the sand out and pouring out the water. When I get done cleaning the sand use new water and have it as a small water change.

I cleaned mine out a couple of weeks ago (it's getting gunky again)....problem is, in doing so, i wiped out a lot of my pods.

I cleaned mine out a couple of weeks ago (it's getting gunky again)....problem is, in doing so, i wiped out a lot of my pods.

Yeah thats a bad thing but I feed every day (those darn anthias and their high metabolism). So I dont think it would affect it too bad.

That deep sand bed you have is actually removing nitrates for you. Yeah its ugly but who cares it's not the DT. When you remove and wash that you will remove most of the bacteria that is beneficial in the deep down bottom of that sandbed that is helping you.

That deep sand bed you have is actually removing nitrates for you. Yeah its ugly but who cares it's not the DT. When you remove and wash that you will remove most of the bacteria that is beneficial in the deep down bottom of that sandbed that is helping you.

K well then tomorrow I think I am going to take the rocks out and just siphon all the crap off the top. Also im thinking about getting a starfish and possibly a few hermits in there as well.

+1 Evan...that's what I was gonna suggest also. Get a nice cuc in there. I bet you that an urchin will do wonders in there too.

K well then tomorrow I think I am going to take the rocks out and just siphon all the crap off the top. Also im thinking about getting a starfish and possibly a few hermits in there as well.

Just a question I see you also have those things attached to the side they look like rice grains they are in the refugium in my JBJ what are they? and am I doing wrong by scrubbing them out. they are also in the pump chambers.
Thanks

Back