Removing and replacing aquaium live rock

Scott Jungdahl

Reefing newb
Is it safe to take the live rock out of the aquarium for a period of time without serious affect? Looking at aquascaping outside the aquarium per a member provided article.

Well the more it dries out the more die-off you're going to have.

So you can do it, you're just going to have to be cautious of losing some of your bacteria (which would then possibly cause an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spike).

+1 Erin,
I don't remember if the article says it but it's referring to base rock and pre cycle aquascapeing. When I re-aquascape I put all my LR in tubs of tank water and restack it into the tank to minimize the air time the LR has.

+1 Erin,
I don't remember if the article says it but it's referring to base rock and pre cycle aquascapeing. When I re-aquascape I put all my LR in tubs of tank water and restack it into the tank to minimize the air time the LR has.
I like that article especially the tank where they creating two separate "islands" of rock. They didn't fill the tank so much with rock but used less rock but more fish which I have seen myself when snorkeling. Thee also more open area which of course would allow more viewing of the smaller inhabitants. I may start over with fully cured dry rock.

I like that article especially the tank where they creating two separate "islands" of rock. They didn't fill the tank so much with rock but used less rock but more fish which I have seen myself when snorkeling. Thee also more open area which of course would allow more viewing of the smaller inhabitants. I may start over with fully cured dry rock.
I could seed coralline algae with rock I have or from aquarium walls and such.

I could seed coralline algae with rock I have or from aquarium walls and such.
Are you running a sump? If so you can put your extra live rock in there. That's what most people are doing to allow them to run minimal LR in the display tank and still have 1-2 lbs per gallon for filtration.

Back