Removing Powerheads

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I think I'm gonna start removing powerheads...My aquatic environment looks more like hurricane Katrina than a nice peaceful reef system.. Here's what I have right now.

(2) Koralia 7 @ approx. 2800 gph
(1) Koralia 3 @ approx. 600 gph?
(1) Koralia 6 @ approx. 2000 gph
(1) Koralia nano under the rocks. @ 425gph

My pulsing xenia look like branches in a windstorm, My Dincans are struggling to open and no matter what I do, I can't place them in good enough spots to keep everybody happy.

I'm going to

1 Koralia 7
1 Koralia 3

and the nano. What do you think? I know Yote was talking about slowing his flow awhile back....

Really? In my 240, I had six Koralia 3s, and now in my 90 I have three of them, and my tanks are all LPS/softies. I'm not sure that would be enough flow. You may start to see some cyano and detritus build up in dead spots. At least give it a shot. You can always add more back in if need be.

I've been struggling with this same problem for a while. Biff said she has her Duncan in direct flow and it's fine but, I have mine hidden in a corner and it looks like the flow is going to rip the head off it's stalk.

I know..I think the problem is the 7's they're so damn powerful you can't do anything with them. From 5' away I can turn one of the 7's and it'll blow the hell out of my torch to the point it'll start to close up.... I'm the worst aquascaper on the planet. So frustrated with it.

PRC how about adding some kind of wave system to your tank? That way you could adjust it for a few minutes of rest in between hurricane force flows.

PRC how about adding some kind of wave system to your tank? That way you could adjust it for a few minutes of rest in between hurricane force flows.

I found a used tunze 6000 with controller, I actually posted it earlier today in the equipmetn area....but the guy already sold it somebody else.

for a while my duncan wasnt doing well and even with no flow on what so eer it leaned to one side.. it may not be an issue of flow because that exact duncan is now it much higher flow and looks great. i never did figure out why he looked like :pooh: for a few weeks tho

I've been struggling with this same problem for a while. Biff said she has her Duncan in direct flow and it's fine but, I have mine hidden in a corner and it looks like the flow is going to rip the head off it's stalk.

I'd say try it...all of our systems are different. What may work in one tank may not in the next. I had the same issue, and I removed a powerhead, it was one of the decisions I made. So I say try it. :)

Heres a few ideas to try and help.

On the Koralias, try taking off the ring that focuses the flow. It give a wider flow that is not as strong. Also, try having the flow bounce off things instead of going directly at the corals.

Heres a few ideas to try and help.

On the Koralias, try taking off the ring that focuses the flow. It give a wider flow that is not as strong. Also, try having the flow bounce off things instead of going directly at the corals.

I've done all that stuff....I did however forget about a box that I had in the corner of the fishroom...had 2 extra Koralia 3's that I don't use. I replaced the 7 with the 3's...I'm happy with the flow now, let's just see if everybody else is in the next few days.:D

Those 7's are just too much power.

Doing the math...I had 8,000gph of powerheads working...no wonder nothing would sit still.

Back