Reporting for command!

dreamwalk

Creator of the InvisoReef
:helm2:
Hello!!

Yes, I am yet another who is wishing to learn your secrets.

I am 17 and I am here to find out how to successfully keep a 10 gallon "NANO" live reef tank.

So, I need somone to take me under their wing and teach me everything they can....who is up for the challenge?!?:question:

Welcome to the site.
In addition to the pics Biff mentioned,tell use about your tank and how you've got it set up.

I could post a pic... but the tank is empty right now.....I thought i would just fill it with tap water and run the filter to make sure everything is going to work out and not leak....

I read that this was a good idea...and was eager to get started, so....

ill post a pic of it soon though.

Again, epic fail..:grumble:.. I read online that is is fine to use tap water as long as it is declorinized... what do you recommend instead?

You can use tap water for the test, but use r/o water when you start the real water the fish will be in. You can buy the water at the fish store or you can use distilled water at the grocery store. Paln on a good salt like reef crystals, instant ocean is not all it is cracked up to be. Are you going to keep corals?

I would like to keep soft corals...then again, I only know about "mushrooms" and "Zoos"...I will prolly get distilled water for the cycle, but will I need to put in additives?

Ok... i think now that I have looked around...that I should post my tank pics and updates in the build section...

ok, so what do you know about a salt water tank? YOu do know you need to add the salt to the water right? Or you can buy it at the lfs, thats Local Fish Store. I don't mean to sound mean, but the whole "I am going to have to add addatives" thing throws me a little. Perhaps you should read a little of the basics. Most people use r/o water add mix the salt in themsevles, thereby controlling the water parameters and saving money. I buy my water for 50 cents a gallon mix already and good mix for the reef I keep. Plus I have a real good repoire with my fish guy.

Ok, I posted a thread in the "tank Showcase" I also posted a picture of my tank as of about 30 minutes ago....I know it's not much, but hey, it's what I got.

You don't need to put in any additives for distilled water. Alternatively, you can purify your own water for a lot less $$ using a reverse osmosis (RODI) water filter. Even 50 cents/gallon adds up, albeit a lot slower with a 10gal.

Check out some of the articles here, and I'd suggest getting a book on salt water reefkeeping. I started out with salt water aquariums for dummies and it gave me a good footing.

ok, so what do you know about a salt water tank? YOu do know you need to add the salt to the water right? Or you can buy it at the lfs, thats Local Fish Store. I don't mean to sound mean, but the whole "I am going to have to add addatives" thing throws me a little. Perhaps you should read a little of the basics. Most people use r/o water add mix the salt in themsevles, thereby controlling the water parameters and saving money. I buy my water for 50 cents a gallon mix already and good mix for the reef I keep. Plus I have a real good repoire with my fish guy.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that i WOULD have to ....I was asking if i would need them... I read that distilled water doesn't have the natural chemicals ect. that the fish might be used to from the wild. And, yeah, i'm pretty sure on the salt mix thing..lol.. im not COMPLETELY new... i've been reading into this for about three weeks... Not to say that I know all of the basics...

Ok, sry, but like I said, the sentence you put scared me a little. Whew!! YOu really must start with good water, it's the cornerstone here, I learned the hard way. Leak test the tank in place with the good r/o water or distilled. Then once your convinced no leaking you can add the salt mix. Unless you are going to use premixed. Get the water up to temp. and let it mix for a day or so. What are you using on the bottom? Sand?

I wanted to use a fine sugar like live sand so that I could put in a sifter, but im not sure if there will be much space for one. the other option that I have is white crushed coral..

I want to get a pink-ish sand that I found online. Very nice and has little bits of coral and shells in it.

Back