Return Pump

bangbangkhan

Reefing newb
I am in process of building my 90g reef. I cant decide on the pumps....the return will be 3/4" Loc-Line return and the overflow kit will be a Herbie design with two 1.5" pipes.

The glass-holes qualifies it as a 1500 GPH and based on my research the return pump should be just under the overflow rating.

I read online that 1.5" pipe has a flow of almost 1350 GPH and that 3/4" would have a flow of 337.50.

So what kind of a pump would be best for the return?

Eheim Universal 1262 or Danner-Mag Drive 1200 Supreme?

Cheers

I have almost the same thing,
CPR CS102 overflow box, with 2 1" bulkhead drains, with 1" flexible tubing, then a mag 12 return pump with a 1" return

Box and pump are both rated for 1200 gph, and I put a ball valve on the return line to control how much water is pushed through, if I didn't it would be pushing everything in the tank in a tornado

I have almost the same thing,
CPR CS102 overflow box, with 2 1" bulkhead drains, with 1" flexible tubing, then a mag 12 return pump with a 1" return

Box and pump are both rated for 1200 gph, and I put a ball valve on the return line to control how much water is pushed through, if I didn't it would be pushing everything in the tank in a tornado

will my 3/4" return be enough to push enough water so the sump doesn't flood?

you wont flood your sump if your pump only flows 100gph than your tank will only discharge 100gph both brands are good pumps i dont think you could go wrong with what ever you choose

Back