Ricordea Feeding

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Here are some pictures of my ricordeas eating last night. I feed them a mix of cyclopeeze, mysis, garlic, vitamins and phyto, targeted with a turkey baster. Some people don't believe that you can feed ricordeas, but my pictures show otherwise!!

First, they grab ahold of the food just like any other coral. It sticks right to them:

01-03-09043.jpg

01-03-09044.jpg

01-03-09045.jpg

01-03-09047.jpg

01-03-09066.jpg

This guy's a pig, but by the end of the pictures, you'll see he eats the whole thing:

01-03-09046.jpg

Then they move the food towards and into their mouths:

01-03-09057.jpg

01-03-09058.jpg

01-03-09059.jpg

01-03-09060.jpg

01-03-09061.jpg

01-03-09062.jpg

I'll have to try that with my Ric and see if I can get it to grow.Its not grown at all since I got it last summer.

Beautiful pics Biff, what a great thread! I figure, any coral with a mouth could be an eater, so I don't know why people wouldn't think a ric could eat meats...

Thanks!!

Dunno. If you google them and look at different sites to read up ricordea care, most of them say that they can't be fed. Almost every other mushroom-type coral will eat food if you give it to them, so I don't see why these guys are any different.

I feed my rico yuma 1/3 of a krill every other week. It swallows it all up, I kinda have to hold it on its mouth for a minute or two but it will finally close around the krill.

That is awesome to watch! The colors are beautiful, they look even more vibrant than in your contest thread!

Great shots of your ric's. I've also ignored others suggestions of not spot feeding ricordeas. While I have not been spot feeding meaty portions to mine I think I've gotten some good growth from my mixture of reefroids, selcon, & reef chili. After seeing your pics I'm going to start feeding them some of my home made reef food after I mix up a new batch this week.

Thanks!!

Dunno. If you google them and look at different sites to read up ricordea care, most of them say that they can't be fed. Almost every other mushroom-type coral will eat food if you give it to them, so I don't see why these guys are any different.

Last I checked, if its got a mouth, it will eat. Just gotta find out what.

Wow Hungry Ricordias, I use a blend called Reef Frenzy, It has Phyto, Garlic, Mysis oysterfeast and a ton of other good stuff in it made by a member Of Carolina fish talk, the good thing is its all fresh and no rinsing, I love it!! My whole tank loves it!! I will target feed it to my Ricordias

Awesome! I like pic #8, the ricordea's mouth looks like it has teeth! We've squirted mysis and brine on ours but the food won't stick. Maybe it's not big enough to eat? It's about quarter size.

Back