Rip my tank everything dead

Ukfan369

Reefing newb
Woke up today and my tank was murky with everything dead but my hermit crab. Last night everything was fine at 3am, I tested my water today post death and parameters are good except ph in the six's, but was 7.9 two days ago. There are ting creatures like bristle worms, mantis shrimp, and things i have never seen crawling all around the tank. I am at a loss

That sucks man. Thats all I can offer. Get it cleaned up get the water quality back to where it belongs and start over. Unfortunately in this hobby their are set backs and tank crashes. You have got to take the bad with the good. Learn from whatever mistake happened and move on. Dont use this as an excuse to get out of the hobby use it as a reason to have a new beginning.

Sorry, that really sucks. How awful.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say something big died for some reason, which sent the rest of your tank spiraling down.

What did you lose?

that sucks to hear, but on a positive now that you know more about the hobby then you did before you got into it you can take this tank in a whole new direction when you start to restock

Yes please let us know how this happened. I know all of us are always looking for problems to avoid, and I also know we have all made a bunch, lol!

Sorry to hear about your loss though. :(

No clue how it happened like i said two days ago water was perfect, and changed 25% of it a week ago. I know one of the worries with a tank as small as mine 29ga is water parameters can change rapidly, and all that happened within 8hrs. When i checked the water post death everything was normal but ph was low. The only thing i can think of is something died and it poisoned everything else, and the wierd thing is when i checked the water critters where everywhere; bristel worms, mantis shrimp, etc. i dunno if they were just trying to feed on the dead fish though

You had a scopus tang in a 29 gallon tank.

Poor animal. They need tanks AT LEAST 75 gallons in size. No wonder your tank crashed.

whoa hold on, you have a mantis shrimp in your tank. he probably caught him dinner and then he didnt eat it all and that caused a rise in your parameters and then all the fish died. or it could have been the ph being low causing everything to die

Yeah, I was standing next to a small tank at the lfs that had nothing in it but live rock, coral and a mantis shrimp...next thing I hear is a loud 'TAP!" on the glass....it was the shrimp getting mad that I got too close to his tank....hehehe. Vicious li'l bugger!

Dustin's theory sounds very plausible.

the wierd thing is when i checked the water critters where everywhere; bristel worms, mantis shrimp, etc. i dunno if they were just trying to feed on the dead fish though

Those are hitch hikers that can withstand very poor water quality and very harsh conditions. That's how they hitch hike in on the rock in the first place. Those animals will usually survive tank crashes, and they're the only animals that can survive tank crashes.

I'm sorry if it offended you, but putting a scopus tang in a 29 gallon tank is asking for trouble. It only takes a couple minutes to do some research on the most basic needs of the animals we put in our tanks. It is our obligation as hobbyists to try to meet those needs. A couple minutes of research on that particular fish would show any of us that it needs a large tank to survive.

He was asking why we thought he tank crashed. I think that's why, and I said so. When he listed the animals he had in it, it was not surprising that something terrible happened to his tank.

Maybe it sounded tactless because I believe that putting a tang in a 29 gallon tank is outright cruel to the animal and is something I cannot condone. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but when someone asks "Why?" I'm not going to tiptoe around pointing out obviously bad decisions that lead to obviously bad results by giving a half-hearted answer with my kid-gloves on.

Last edited:
That said, I'm really sorry if my comment was offensive, Ukfan. We all lose things in this hobby, and it sucks no matter what the circumstance. We can hopefully learn from our mistakes and not repeat them.

Biff,

Comment was OK in my opinion.
As we all read it, we all thought it.
Scopus & Mantis in a 29.....????

Probably not UK's fault...being a N00b.
Let's cast some blame on his LFS as well.

Ryan, thanks for the FATMAN reference.
That poor guy's probably freezing his tail off in his Alaskan solitary existence!!!
Kinda miss his "no holds barred" comments though! :-)

Biff,

Comment was OK in my opinion.
As we all read it, we all thought it.
Scopus & Mantis in a 29.....????

Probably not UK's fault...being a N00b.
Let's cast some blame on his LFS as well.

Agreed. If/when you set up your tank again, please please please research the animals before you add them to your tank. And if your fish store told you that those animals were okay to put in your tank, find yourself a new fish store. Bad stocking decisions will always lead to problems. But ultimately, it's your money, your tank and therefore YOUR responsibility to research this information for yourself. You cannot always depend on a salesman to give you the info that you need to make a good decision.

Last edited:
A lot of people are swayed by their LFS even after doing research because they are good salesman. I am sure we have all at one time don't a ton of research on something and then went into the store and was persuaded one way or the other about that object.

i told you she was mean and santa is not coming to see her.lol lol sorry about your lose man.hate to here this kind of stuff being so new myself. can you get a bigger tank and keep the 29 for a mantis tank?

Back