RKL Set-up Help and Questions

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I finally got an RKL for my nano tank (yay!!) and set it up last night but have a couple questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with.

(1) Do I need to calibrate the temperature probe? I wedged it between some rocks in the back of the tank and its reading about 2 degrees below what my glass thermometer is reading (they are the same distance from the heater but the glass thermometer is in the front of the tank).

(2) How far down do I need to put the temp probe? I kept trying to put it all the way in, but it kept floating back up. Am I supposed to put the entire thing in, or only the bottom part of it?

(3) For the fan and heater function, I chose the set temp and then had to choose the default "on/off" setting, and don't know if I did it correctly. For the Fan, I chose the set point at 80.5 and default of "on" (hoping this means the fan will turn on when the temp reaches 80.5), and for the heater I chose a set point of 79.0 and default "on" (hoping this means the heater will come on when the temp drops below 79.0). Did I do this correctly? I thought there would be a set point for both "on" and a set point for "off" but it turns out there isn't so I'm a bit confused!

(4) For all of the modules there is a "mode" choice that is either "on/off/auto" - I chose auto hoping this means they will turn on/off based on how I've programmed the RKL - was this the right choice?

Sorry to be such a noob with this thing!

No worries Fishy! As far as default, you want the heaters default to be off. The default has nothing to do with the automation programming. For example, you want your heater to be on "auto" at 79, default off. Then when you are programming your fan to auto, you can set it to come on at 79.3 degrees or whatever you want it at. The heater will auto turn off above 79.1 and turn on at 78.9.
Here's the video that I watched and it showed me a few things. Programming starts at about 2:45. Enjoy :) Let me know if you need any more help!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97kfsyF4hqc]Setting up a Reefkeeper Plus Aquarium Controller - Ep:5 How to set up a saltwater aquarium - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
To set up the Fan function
1 From a Module’s Port Menu, select “Function” and press [Enter].

2 Press the [Up] or [Down] buttons to scroll to “Fan” and press [Enter]
The “Set Point” prompt will be on the screen with 000.0 and the fi rst digit will be fl ashing.

3 Press the [Up] or [Down] buttons to set the fi rst digit, press [Enter] to set and move to
the next digit. Continue until the value is set.
Example: Input 085.0 for 85.1°.

4 Once the fi nal digit is set press [Enter] to confi rm.
The next prompt is for setting the default state for the output. If the programmed module
can no longer communicate with the head unit, the module will set the output to the state
chosen in the default setting. For example, if a heater is plugged into channel 1 on a PC4
and it can no longer communicate with the head unit, the default state will take aff ect.

5 Press the [Up] or [Down] buttons to choose between the “On” and “Off ” options.
The screen will change and show “Save”.

6 Press the [Enter] button to save.

You can go back from a save by pressing [Back] when save is fl ashing.

Heater

The Heater function is a ReadyFit function. It allows for quick setup of a heater and requires only
a minimal amount of input from the user. If more control is desired, the Controller function can
be used.
This ReadyFit function uses the iTemp temp probe that came with your ReefKeeper
Lite.

When using the Heater Function, this cannot be changed. For increased function options please use the Controller Function.

To set up the Heater function

1 From a Module’s Port Menu, select “Function” and press [Enter].

2 Press the [Up] or [Down] buttons to scroll to “Heater” and press [Enter]
The “Set Point” prompt will be on the screen with 000.0 and the fi rst digit will be
fl ashing.

3 Press the [Up] or [Down] buttons to set the fi rst digit, press [Enter] to set and move to
the next digit. Continue until the value is set.
Example: Input 079.1 for 79.1°

4 Once the fi nal digit is set press [Enter] to confi rm.
The next prompt is for setting the default state for the output. If the programmed module
can no longer communicate with the head unit, the module will set the output to the state
chosen in the default setting. For example, if a heater is plugged into channel 1 on a PC4
and it can no longer communicate with the head unit, the default state will take aff ect. In
the case of a heater it is recommended that the default state be set to ON.

5 Press the [Up] or [Down] buttons to choose between the “On” and “Off ” options.
The screen will change and show “Save”.

6 Press the [Enter] button to save.

You can go back from a save by pressing [Back] when save is flashing.

No worries Fishy! As far as default, you want the heaters default to be off. The default has nothing to do with the automation programming. For example, you want your heater to be on "auto" at 79, default off. Then when you are programming your fan to auto, you can set it to come on at 79.3 degrees or whatever you want it at. The heater will auto turn off above 79.1 and turn on at 78.9.
Here's the video that I watched and it showed me a few things. Programming starts at about 2:45. Enjoy :) Let me know if you need any more help!
Setting up a Reefkeeper Plus Aquarium Controller - Ep:5 How to set up a saltwater aquarium - YouTube

Keep in mind that the video is for the RKL PLUS which uses the SL1 and a different temp probe than what comes stock. The iTemp probe is a bit different than the plus version.

BOTH TEMP PROBES STILL NEED CALIBRATION

Back