Roberts Upgrade!!! 45 to 150 Thread

Well i ordered lights of ebay awhile ago,he just wrote me yesterday saying they were waiting to restock,then he will send them out,I said just foget it,why list a item that you dont have in stock.
Twice now this has happened to me on ebay:frustrat:.Hes giving me a refund.Im kinda glad too.I think im going with a set of 72" T5 8x80 60" bulbs retro kit.Or a T5 fixture.I figure reef has a set of T5s 14x39 546watts and has tank is off the hook.I should be fine with that.

Skimmer? I already have my berlin turbo rated for 240gal,ill use in my sump/refugium.I have a dual overflow 1200 gph and a rio 950 gph on the way.Im almost ready for it to begin:bounce:just waiting on the equiment and lights.yes im getting really excited!!!!!

This whole setup has been cheap too,im saving around 500.00 - on the liverock alone,5 powerheads would cost a buck.The tank was free,just some hard work cleaning and getting it prepared.

P.S biff i ordered the same 6 stage Ro+Di filter from Pure water club on ebay:Cheers: thanks for the info on your thread:bounce:.

Update!!!Got most of my Equipment today:D.The tank should be up and running by this weekend.Just waiting on my 6 stg RO+DI filter.

Picture2155.jpg

My skimmer!!I cant wait to use this bad boy.Rated for 250gal.It wont fit with a Refugium.Im just going with a sump.

Picture2156.jpg

now that is how you go!!! great lights. Can't wait to see the pics of the set up

-Doc

WOW looks great. The silicone job looks like factory. I like the stand. Can't wait to see it set up.

Sure looks like a Aqualight Pro 1134 watt with lunar lights. Makes my 4 foot 696 watt fixture look small. Did you get the optional tall legs, will you suspend it or enclose the fixture in a canopy. If it were me though, I would save some money and increase water volume by trading your sump in for a glass tank and put in your own baffles. Bulkheads are easy enough to put in and the hole saw needed is cheap (less than $15 with shipping). Really, glass holes are easy to cut, really. I would get as big a tank as I could fit in the bottom of the stand. Put the sump tank in through the top of your stand before you fill your tank with water. That Berlin skimmer looks bigger than my Turboflotor too. Bigger, more, bigger, more..........oh! Have fun!

OK quick update.This :pooh: takes longer then i thought.I only got half the things done that i wanted.My sump(dont know if its good or bad)But its gonna have to work.My skimmer would not fit with my pump.Any suggestions.
Picture2164.jpg

Picture2159.jpg

Picture2163.jpg

Will my skimmer pump alright on the other side?

Last edited:
The extra length of hose may cut down on your skimmers performance a bit.But I dont know that it would be enough to make a difference or not.

It should fine where its at as long as the pump isn't sucking air bubbles from the drain.Good luck,it looks like your almost there.

looks great. love the set up. what is the livestock plan? c'mon on now, at least TRY a majestic angelfish. Be unique. No one has one in this forum

-Doc

At worst you should only need to raise your skimmer up a little on a small platform as well as your skimmers pump to bring it closer to use as designed. You look like you have four or five inches between the top of the skimmers pump and the bulkhead partition top. An inch would easily do fine and your skimmer doesn't need to sit on the bottom as its water level should be dependent upon your water inflow from the pump. Even if it does need to sit in a minimum sump depth if not fed from an outside line the recommended depth is usually provided by the manufacturer and the skimmer should be raised up until that is the level of the water in that chamber without the skimmers pump running. If you do need to raise the skimmer and pump you should also add some pipe to the skimmer discharges unless you want to listen to the noise of the falling water splashing into the sump. I am assuming the Berlin turbo basically works like other needle wheel turbo skimmers. It is early and I am Long Winded. Sorry!

could you scoot the sump a few inches to the right? maybe doing that would allow you to build a small shelf with a 2x4 in between the legs on the stand. you could set the skimmer on the shelf external of the sump. it looks like that may even let you shorten the hose from the pump to the skimmer. you could then attach some vinyl tubing to the output of the skimmer, to keep the water from crashing 12" back to the sump.

:frustrat: It would work best if you could avoid the inverted U shape in your hose. You would probably be better having to pump up a little higher than to have to have a stream of bubble laden water flow up hill then down hill. You would probably constantly be battling the forming of a large bubble at the top of the inverted U which would decrease flow and possibly nearly stop flow. Consider how little flow you get through a over the wall siphon tube when their is a bubble at the top of the siphon tube. Or how the siphon stops when the bubble gets to big. At the least you would have a spitting flow caused by large bubbles being formed then pumped through. :twocents:

Back