RODI Breaking

Each faucet manufacturer might have a different way to attach it to their faucet. Write down the name and brand of your faucet, take that piece with you to the hardware store, and ask for help their.

Also, most faucets have a removable right around the end. You might need to take that off first.

Try these steps here

How to Remove a Faucet Screen | eHow.com

If that is for your RODI, there is another solution that may work much better for you.

If you have copper tubing to your facet under the sink you can go the hardware store and purchase a Saddle Valve. It is made to connect ice makers to a water supply. It is a clamp that has a valve on it that clamps, and taps into the water supply. It goes before the facet shut off valve. You can connect it with the water supply on, (you do not have to turn your water off). Be sure to purchase a push in connector to fit it, to push your poly supply line to your RODI into to complete the connection.

I purchased a plastic ball valve with push in connectors and installed it after my saddle valve because it is a much better valve and I won't have to tamper with the saddle valve. So I just leave the saddle valve on and if I need to shut off the water supply to my RODI then I use the added ball valve.

The link below is of a saddle valve.

SADDLE VALVE FOR ICE MAKER KIT SELF-TAP DOM HOLLOW TIP on eBay!

You can install it over by your Washer and Dryer, just add a Y where the washer water comes out. and put the drain line into the drain. If you want you can use the waste water in your washer. Thats what i do so i dont waste any water.

If that is for your RODI, there is another solution that may work much better for you.

If you have copper tubing to your facet under the sink you can go the hardware store and purchase a Saddle Valve. It is made to connect ice makers to a water supply. It is a clamp that has a valve on it that clamps, and taps into the water supply. It goes before the facet shut off valve. You can connect it with the water supply on, (you do not have to turn your water off). Be sure to purchase a push in connector to fit it, to push your poly supply line to your RODI into to complete the connection.

I purchased a plastic ball valve with push in connectors and installed it after my saddle valve because it is a much better valve and I won't have to tamper with the saddle valve. So I just leave the saddle valve on and if I need to shut off the water supply to my RODI then I use the added ball valve.

The link below is of a saddle valve.

SADDLE VALVE FOR ICE MAKER KIT SELF-TAP DOM HOLLOW TIP on eBay!

We recommend folks stear clear of these saddle valves as a way to get feedwater to their systems. You can read the full write up on our Facebook page.

Russ

Those reasons are why I said I use a plastic ball valve after the saddle valve... to not fool around with it. They make a reasonable tap into your water supply, without having to turn off your water supply, until you can install a proper valve.

but...Often ice makers run on these for many many years... One of mine has been running an ice maker in a fridge and a dedicated ice maker stand alone unit for over 40 years just fine.

The weakness is in the rubber gasket that is pressed against the copper tubing. The ones with neoprene gaskets can last and be fairly forgiving for a long time. Not everyone has the option to shut off their water and do an inline installation. In some areas this may require a licensed plumber.

As for calcium build up, I can't imagine anyone having it worse than we do. I was having to replace the flush control valves in our toilets more than once a year. I had to put ice maker inline filters between our shut off valves and the toilets to solve the problem. But the saddle valve continues to perform just fine. Clearly an inline properly installed valve is a better option if it is a reasonable option of that reef tank hobbyist.

So...What do you recommend??

Last edited:
Im telling you. Where your washer and dryer hook ups are. LOL Perfect place, Laundry Room or Garage, My unit is actually in my Garage, then i have long waste hose that goes in my dryer Vent and into the washer drain. And my Feed line does the same but its hooked up to the cool water side with a Y splitter one to the washer and one to the RO/DI Unit.

Im telling you. Where your washer and dryer hook ups are. LOL Perfect place, Laundry Room or Garage, My unit is actually in my Garage, then i have long waste hose that goes in my dryer Vent and into the washer drain. And my Feed line does the same but its hooked up to the cool water side with a Y splitter one to the washer and one to the RO/DI Unit.

Perfect place. Its where mine are as per my post.

Well I don't know drilling holes because my dad doesn't like to ruin the house

I think those are perfect places.. .
...my RODI comes off the cold side of my hot water tank feed line. My waste water lines are (I have two, one for my ATO tank and one for my change water tank) run into the attic and feed into a PVC toilet gas exhaust vent pipe which means they dump down the sewage.

Ideally, those would be feed to a large plastic trash can and be used to water my wife's plants... but that hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:
I think those are perfect places.. .
...my RODI comes off the cold side of my hot water tank feed line. My waste water lines are (I have two, one for my ATO tank and one for my change water tank) run into the attic and feed into a PVC toilet gas exhaust vent pipe which means they dump down the sewage.

Ideally, those would be feed to a large plastic trash can and be used to water my wife's plants... but that hasn't happened yet.

Yeah mine useto feed outside to the little spot where are bushes where but it was just to much water. So now i just fill the washer with the waste water, when that full i put it down the washer drain and run a load of laundry. ones its done i do it all over. usually i can fill the washer atleast 3 or 4 times before my garbage can is full of good water for my change water. So that saves me atlease 60 gl in water from my washer.

Well I don't know drilling holes because my dad doesn't like to ruin the house

I think you are confused about how these things hook up. They don't ruin the house. If you have an icemaker in your fridge or a dishwasher in your kitchen, they run off of the exact same plumbing and hook into the water line the same way. Last I checked, ice makers and dishwashers are not ruining houses everywhere...

You can install it over by your Washer and Dryer, just add a Y where the washer water comes out. and put the drain line into the drain. If you want you can use the waste water in your washer. Thats what i do so i dont waste any water.

This is how I just installed mine. I was super easy, and you can easily reverse this installation if you later decide to move or no longer need the RO/DI unit. The Y adapter can be found any any hardware store for a few dollars. My BRS kit came with an adaptor that plugged right into it. I had my filter installed in about 15 minutes with this method, and if needed, I could have it uninstalled in about 15 minutes as well

This is how I just installed mine. I was super easy, and you can easily reverse this installation if you later decide to move or no longer need the RO/DI unit. The Y adapter can be found any any hardware store for a few dollars. My BRS kit came with an adaptor that plugged right into it. I had my filter installed in about 15 minutes with this method, and if needed, I could have it uninstalled in about 15 minutes as well

And... many of those "Y" adapters come with built in ball valves. .. perfect!

For those that have installed these under their sink or above the washer and dryer, how much work is to modify the plumbing? I assume you have to get some sort of T and on/off valves to add to your plumbing lines? I've just been attaching mine to the kitchen faucet, but this is becoming a pain when my roommates want to use the kitchen sink. Would love to have another option, but don't think my landlord would be too keen on my messing with the plumbing...

For those that have installed these under their sink or above the washer and dryer, how much work is to modify the plumbing? I assume you have to get some sort of T and on/off valves to add to your plumbing lines? I've just been attaching mine to the kitchen faucet, but this is becoming a pain when my roommates want to use the kitchen sink. Would love to have another option, but don't think my landlord would be too keen on my messing with the plumbing...

Is what we were chatting about.. can't get much easier than this.. and they come in plastic ... get the plastic one. All else you need is the adapter to fit it so that a poly hose of your size (usually 1/4") will push in. Get the push in connector and never ever buy the compression style connectors any more.................... we have thankfully evolved beyond those.. we humans have. Talk about easy!!!

Y Shut Off 2 Way Metal Hose Connector-312S at The Home Depot

Last edited:
I think you are confused about how these things hook up. They don't ruin the house. If you have an icemaker in your fridge or a dishwasher in your kitchen, they run off of the exact same plumbing and hook into the water line the same way. Last I checked, ice makers and dishwashers are not ruining houses everywhere...

So do i just buy a Y and spilt the line?

Back