Rushy's first 55g Reef Effort - V Early Stages

Can't believe it's been a month since I was last on here! And sadly haven't seen much of my tank in that time. Need to start planning moving it though, so if my friends on here have ideas on how I best go about it and plan the move, all advice would be appreciated as always :D

When moving a tank.Rubber Maid bins are your best friends.Rock in one,corals in another,and fish and inverts in another.It also be a good to have one for the sand.Plus they let you save a lot of the old water,to hopefully keep you from having a full out cycle when you set everything back up.

I bet the wife isn't calling you a loser anymore. Your tank looks great. I remeber when my wife thought my tank was a giant money pit and I couldn't keep anything alive. Noe she is the first one to explain everything in it and all the work WE did. WE did. Funny, Ive never seen her ever put a hand inside the tank.

Ironically my wife and I got into yesterday about the money I have put into my tank. I try to justify it by stating I make about 500% more money than she does and that seems to just piss her off more. Ive been married less than a year so I haven't learned to shut my mouth yet :)

Ironically my wife and I got into yesterday about the money I have put into my tank. I try to justify it by stating I make about 500% more money than she does and that seems to just piss her off more. Ive been married less than a year so I haven't learned to shut my mouth yet :)

Wouldnt matter if you COULD keep quiet.They STILL get ill:grumble: At least mines does.:frustrat:

Nice pics, I like the animals you have added, you may have some nipping by the angel on the corals, so keep an eye on that as things mature, very nice setup. Keep us posted.

Hi guys,

Thought I'd drop in and say hi, it's been a while since I've been here, and I have missed this place and the wonderful people on here. I'm back on here properly now so it will be great to catch up with everyone and what's been going on.

Firstly, I better fill you in on what's been going and why I haven't been about. The missus and i split up at the end of March, which means that from then until now, my once beautiful tank has been seriously neglected. I moved into my new house a couple of weeks ago and finally managed to arrange moving my tank this weekend! The sight that confronted me, when I turned up to move the tank, almost had me wanting to do unmentionable things to her and cry at the same time. Remarkably the fish and Patrick were all alive, present and doing ok, apart from some fin and tail tears. All but three of my shrimps were sadly dead, and the majority of my corals were dead or dying. The tank was completely green and the water brown!

Anyway I carefully, emptied the tank (as per Yotes advice - thanks buddy), and made the journey back home, calling in at my LFS on the way to stock up on water and food! Got the tank in gave it a good clean, to get the green algae off the glass, and placed it in the room where I wanted it. After setting it all back up, LR and equipment in, I started to re-introduce the stock, and did a 20% partial change. The sad news is that before I could even introduce her back into the aquarium Lola (my sixline) died, and since then I've lost Aaron Lemon (my lemonpeel), Cassisus (my CB Shrimp) and Patrick (my Sea Star), all of which I don't think actually quite got over the neglect, then the move. Aaron, never really recovered, he struggled from the moment I reintroduced him to the tank, and Cassius and Patrick, seemed ok, only to find them dead this morning. The other fish all look really healthy, and unaffected and the water has now cleared completely, but I now have a few hard weeks in front of me trying to get it back to where it was and then getting it back to how it looked. Anyway tale of Woe over, am glad to be back, and will keep you posted as to how it goes in the next few weeks!!

WOW dude. what an update! im really sorry to hear the bad news. thats terrible. I hope things are starting to come together in your life now and getting better, though i know it takes a long while to these things. I wish you the best of luck with things. and glad to see you back on the forum.

So did anything end up surviving the move?

Thanks Alex, appreciated buddy, and really glad to be back :D

My Cinnamon Clownie, Reef Chromis and all three Fairy Anthias did, and remarkably all doing really well, their appetites are certainly ok! Clownie is a bit subdued, and I think mainly because Aaron is no longer in the tank. Those two were inseperable before, it was quite strange to watch. I've watched everything else that has survived pretty closely in the last few days, and there doesn't seem to be to many signs of any real stress, so fingers crossed!

I'm also sorry to hear about the troubles you've been going through! At least your tank is in good hands now, and you can learn from your "beginner" mistakes when you first set up your tank, and can redo any decisions that you regretted. I'm glad you didn't lose everything -- corals can be remarkably resilient, and I guarantee you that once you start getting things in shape, you will see some of your old "buddies" popping up where you never saw them before. I'm glad that you're back on the site and are doing okay!

MAN Rushy
I hate to hear about the troubles.But what dont kill us,just makes us stronger.
Hate to hear about the tank too.But that'll be back in all its glory before you even realize it:D
Happy to have you back too.The place just aint the same without you.

I'm also sorry to hear about the troubles you've been going through! At least your tank is in good hands now, and you can learn from your "beginner" mistakes when you first set up your tank, and can redo any decisions that you regretted. I'm glad you didn't lose everything -- corals can be remarkably resilient, and I guarantee you that once you start getting things in shape, you will see some of your old "buddies" popping up where you never saw them before. I'm glad that you're back on the site and are doing okay!

Thanks Biffy, really glad to be back, and glad to have my tank back. I think one of the best decisions I made (call it logic in accidental planning), was not turning my filter off. With the water level reduction, eventually meaning the skimmer wasn't skimming, at least the filter was doing something to help maintain some life in there :D

MAN Rushy
I hate to hear about the troubles.But what dont kill us,just makes us stronger.
Hate to hear about the tank too.But that'll be back in all its glory before you even realize it:D
Happy to have you back too.The place just aint the same without you.

Yote buddy, how are you?? Thank you for the kind words, really missed this place and in particular the people on here! :D I'm just looking forward to the challenge of getting it back to where it was and making it better now. Pics as I go, that you can be sure of :mrgreen:

Biff's right. Things may look gone but still be there. I had a buddy who was treating for a large amount of flat worm when suddenly the power went out, so as everything was dieing nothing was going into his sump/skimmer/charcole.

needless to say everything started melting, literaly. His finger leather turned into gue and driped down the rock. shorten up the story, 2 months lated he has a rock that one whole side is a giant finger leather carpet.

I picked up some gorrilla nipples from him the other day.....Now I hae some of the finger leather growing ut of them. Odd

Good luck with everything

Back