Rwynn's 40g Reef Tank

That appears to be the same skimmer I have linked, guess thats 2/2 then.(That is where I found my skimmer in stock actually.)

I ended up getting this for 85 from a local reefer.
AquaC Remora Hang-On Protein Skimmer with Drain Fitting
I'll pick it up tomorrow when I go LFS hopping in search of a CUC.​

Did a 25% WC tonight and cleaned up the algae on the walls of the tank. Added a timer to my MH as well so I can get everything back in order.​

Its nice to be back. You can see before and after of the algae on the back wall. I've also got my rock setup how I like it now.​

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 250
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 260
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 294
Installed my new(to me) skimmer! I'm officially pulling gunk from my tank. At first it was skimming way to wet and filled the collection box in less than 2 hrs. I adjusted the collection cup a bit higher and it filled the box about 2/5 of the way overnight.

The color looks a tad lighter than iced tea....I think I would like a bit darker/dryer skimmate, what color do yall shoot for?

I was thinking about a mod in any case, drill a small hole slightly below the max lvl in the collection box and run a piece of airline hose to a milk jug under the tank. Anyone think this would cause an issue or have done this before?

I'm probably imagining it but the water seems clearer already. I am starting to feel like I am getting things pulled together now.

I also picked up a 30g tank for free from someone that was moving and needed to make space. I don't have room to make a sump out of it so I am thinking about putting together a frag tank that seems like a fairly good use of the tank.

Either that or I am going to plumb into the hall closet and pack that thing from top to bottom with powerheads and liverock.

Lots of skimmers come with that mod already -- but the hole is drilled in the bottom of the collection cup. Because skimmate tends to thicken as it sits, I think you'd be better off drilling it in the bottom vs. the side. I think it would clog too easily on the side, or it just wouldn't flow.

Lots of skimmers come with that mod already -- but the hole is drilled in the bottom of the collection cup. Because skimmate tends to thicken as it sits, I think you'd be better off drilling it in the bottom vs. the side. I think it would clog too easily on the side, or it just wouldn't flow.

Goodcall.

I adjusted the skimmer today and I am now getting an almost tarlike skimmate much slower...think I'll go with it for now

I cannot find the camera battery charger so I cannot take anything in the way of pics, but I picked up a couple turbo snails and a hairy mushroom today!

I REALLY like those snails, they are owning my algae.

The shroom seems to be settling in nicely as well. I noticed my skimmer went from churning out foam to barely any at all, would this be my skimmer just getting caught up?

Going to try my hand at fragging my green shroom(the one I already had), how long will it take for the pieces to attach to LR rubble and can I speed it up or attach them artifically somehow?

Looks like your well on your way! I can remember the day when I first added turbo snails it was amazing how fast they cleaned my rocks. Haven't seen green on my rocks ever since. :mrgreen:

Well, some sad news.

My landlord was over today and noticed the aquarium and informed me that I had 7 days to either pay a 500$ pet deposit for the aquarium or tear it down(because telling me back in december when he saw me setting it up wouldn't have been more convenient.)...don't have 500$ sitting around for that so I'm going to be shipping the tank up to Dallas for my inlaws to have.

JUST when I was getting the tank under my thumb so to speak....however he will still have the tank and be running it there. I plan on getting a 3g for the contest and putting it in my office so I'll still have a tank.

Yeah, we are going monday to find a new place. We never signed a new lease when the year was up last year so we are on a month-month now....no lease to break or anything.

Ok, tonight we are moving the tank and inhabitants to Dallas.

My plan is as follows:

Cart water 1 5 gallon bucket at a time to 2 bins in the SUV, put livestock in 1 along with healer and a powerhead.

Put rock in the 2nd bin.

Clean out tank completely(we will get new sand when we get to Dallas).

Reassemble it all tonight in Dallas, fil the tank with 50% new saltwater. Add rock, top off with the water from the bin. Get it all adjusted and add the livestock back in.

Anyone see anything here I should do differently?

Back