Rwynn's 40g Reef Tank

Nice addition! remember, though, that brine shrimp are like french fries... no nutrition at all. So it's best to move him to eating something more nutritious. Or feed your brine cultures vitamins and whatnot.

Just realized I think you thought I was feeding live brine, no I'm feeding frozen with vitamins added.

Well, the Mandarin is MIA....I wouldn't think these guys can jump right? I only have 4 pieces of LR and he is nowhere to be found....

He was out eating this morning, fat, and seemingly happy...GRRRR.

Well no sign of the mandarin still, beginning to think he is lost. Really annoying since he was swimming and eating and looking fantastic the day he vanished.

:*( very sad to hear.. hope he pops up. btw I read earlier in the thread you were having a child, how did that go? My wife is having our first in about 2 months.. so excited to be a new dad!

Little Kai is 6 weeks old now, 7 on Friday. He is holding his head up and getting more active. Our daughter is 20 months old and is crazy fun now.

They change so fast every day they learn something new. Good luck, it is the best thing in the world.

Well no sign of the mandarin still, beginning to think he is lost. Really annoying since he was swimming and eating and looking fantastic the day he vanished.

It's funny how they can disappear into thin air. I mean, water. Sorry about your mandarin :(

Sorry about the mandrian! That really stinks! I know it isn't the same fish but my wrasse was gone for over 2 weeks, I think almost 3 weeks actually and then I saw her one day! Don't loose hope!

Thanks, Leslee, I still go and look around every few minutes...and I know he HAS to be somewhere, I only have 4 rocks total, he is the biggest fish so no one ate him....and they aren't really jumpers...and I have no pets to have eaten him...I'm thinking I'll pick the rocks up tonight and see.

I took all of the rocks out of the tank and put them in buckets of tank water looking for the wrasse and then 2 days after putting them all back in the wrasse reappeared!

Got my first cleaner shrimp yesterday, no pics because it is hiding under a rock in a crevice...I'll get one tomorrow if I get the chance.

Weel, after 5 months the larger of my two clowns vanished overnight. She was there happy eating before we left on Friday....got back saturday night and I was missing a fish. Removed all rocks and no sign of her.....

I only have a few medium sized hermits, a fighting conch, and a cleaner shrimp for CUC, could they have completely removed all traces of the 3in fish in that short of a time period?

Also, that makes 2 fish in as many months to simply vanish, no parameters out of wack, no spikes, nothing new happening, both vanished when I was out of town overnight...

We have no pets other than the fish, there is no sump or overflow situation happening and there has been no trace of the fish on the outside of the tank anywhere.....

I do have 1 aptasia that I've been nursing(I know I know but I think it is neat, and is present in a natural environment) It is probably 1.5in from base to end of arms...could it it have eaten them both in such a short time frame?

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Now, on to happier thoughts...I am needing to replace 2 fish...I have the 1 smaller male clown and a 4in Golden Sleeper Goby.....what would make lively and appropriate additions? They have to be reef and invert safe.

Thanks!

mm, oh and my 4 head Acan is now up to 11 heads dime - 2in in diameter. It is almost round the clock puffed up with feeding arms out...I feed every other day each head gets 1 - 3 large mysis of its own.

Found the Clown...he was in the intake of a powerhead....going to replace it with a K3 next month.

Seems odd the big one got sucked into a 50gph powerhead, question is, was he alive or dead when it happened.

This may explain the mandarin vanishing as well, I can believe it wasn't strong enough to escape.

Last edited:
Back