Ryans Reef

GFO and carbon are the only way you will be able to battle your algae problem. You can hang the two little fishies reactor inside your sump instead of outside the sump. Even if you have to set the reactors on the floor next to the tank I would do it.

The deal with problematic algae is that over time, detritus and nutrients settle at the base of the plant or on the rocks and nothing removes it, so there is a food source irregardless of water quality and unless you can get rid of the settled detritus on the live rock and sand you will continue to have outbreaks and returning difficulties, Ive used cucumbers and conchs for the substrait, tuxedo and long spine urchins for the live rock and walls, ive lost two abalone and one tiger cowie to the long spine, the fish have been spiked several times but have survived. as the long spines are getting bigger, i will remove them soon, so you can get a long tool and start pulling out the longer algae, the urchins will cruse the area and clean up the detritus on the rock, next time it comes back pull out the long stuff and eventually it will start to dissipate. I have been able to clear my system up apprx. 70% and am working on the remaining. This is a point where a lot of hobbyist leave the salt side, but if you are aggressive in controlling the algae, it will eventually subside if you have animals in the system that will clean the areas once the long algae has been removed. pm me if you have any questions on what i posted here. hope something here helps. I do intend to leave some algae in the system, the chromis like to spawn in the turf algae and fight me when I try to remove it.

So I admitted defeat finally today after looking at several all white sps skeletons that for now my Acro keeping skills are lacking.

So here is the death toll:
German Blue Montipora Digitata
California Blue Tort
Acropora Sarmentosa
Dr. Macs Tri-Colored
Green Slimer Acro
ORA Hawkins Enchinata
Half of my ORA Pink Birdsnest

and to top it all off my gorgeous Kryptonite Candys are looking horrible from the added flow of the K4's. I pulled one of the Koralias out tonight.

I havent been keeping up with this thread so i dont know if it was already covered but have you medicated the tank or any chemical addon?

Nope, basically they became overrun with algae. Recently my Alkalinity has gotten too low and I think the combination helped the tissue slough off a little at a time and they basically STNed form the tips down. I thought that it was a flow problem at first and added the two Koralias which only made things worse because my LPS is now pissed off at me too.

It sux to loose so many awesome corals at once.I know the feeling well,leaves an empty feeling right in the pit of your stomach.
Think maybe its time to get drastic and have a rock scrubbing party?Thats what it took to clean out the bryopsis I had in the 75 and then the dinos in my 125.
Hate to hear of the lose too.

I was actually thinking of taking one of the islands down and cooking the rock, then restacking that island and doing the same to the other side.

Basically the island on the left side of the tank is empty right now minus my Ric garden, a monti cap, my blue milli, a small green/red/brown milli and my blue hydno. Something drastic is going to happen soon or Im going to scrap this whole tank and start fresh with the 220 that is in storage. Alexander and I have been discussing this behind the scenes.

I have even considered sell the 180 and the 220 and getting one of the Marineland Deep Dimension cube tanks. I have considered the following tanks.

36x36x27 150 gal
36x48x27 200 gal
36x60x27 250 gal***This is the one I have priced out,1126.66 plus delivery I would set it up as a room divider between my living room and dining room. Its probably just a pipe dream but its under consideration.

this is kinda strange. I have horrible hair algae and it hasn't killed off any of my corals. Granted they are LPS and not SPS. Maybe it's the alk problem.

are you having supplementation issues? I also dont think the algae is really the cause unless maybe nutrients are the issue. Not too sure on this one.

Have you been doing water changes regularly. Lately if feels like there is a trend of not doing water changes on here so i have to ask.

I think that your tank may just have been "too new" to handle SPS. I believe there are some things going on in new tanks that we can't measure, hence the differentiation between "mature" and "established" tanks that you hear about all the time. You got the SPS bug and started adding them soon after your tank cycled, if I'm not mistaken. So it may not be some sort of measurable water quality issue. Just that you didn't wait long enough.

dude that sucks man. I was not aware of the entire toll you lost. I still wish you could just up and switch to that marineland. my LFS has the 200g there and flo and i look at it EVERY time we go there.

Well stated guys. I change 10% a week and I have done several things to simplify (I added a hose fitting on a valve into my plumbing so I can connect a small piece of hose and drain quiclky into a 5 gal bucket and I over built my plumbing to allow for large swings in my water level) but it still takes more time than I could do daily. and that's not considering the time it takes to make/get the water.

Last edited:
Maybe your lifestyle just doesn't fit in with what's need to keep a SPS dominated tank. It takes dedication and the available time to do what needs to be done. The key to SPS is stability...which pretty much means doing something to your tank everyday, whether it just be adding top off water if you don't have an ATO or dosing ca/alk.
I've said it before, I've seen lots of nice softie/LPS tanks. In fact, I think my tank was pretty nice for the 15 yrs it was setup with only softies and LPS. ;)
I don't think getting a different tank will make your problems go away. The tank doesn't cause the algae...it's what's inside.

Back