sabae help

Ok...keep in mind my power heads are only koralia 240s....I got 2 but no direct flow on the anemone

Last edited:
How was the feeding reaction when you fed it?

It LOOKS alright to me. If I were you I would leave it alone. Let it find its way and figure things out. As someone else mentioned...it's one of the more difficult anemones to keep and your tank is very new for something like this. It's going to be an uphill battle either way.
I wouldn't mess with it unless you see serious signs that it is not doing well. It's odd that it has flipped over but it can and will flip itself back when it wants to.

Leave that anemone alone and let it figure out where it wants to be. Don't try to feed it and don't try to move it around. Leave it alone.

So far it still looks healthy. So unless you see it actually coming apart, then it's probably not dead.

Not gonna know till the morning...I'm at work right now guys...checked before I left with a small light and no change since it was on its side...when I fed it , it closed up and opened back up after bout 5 min like it wanted more...but I didn't wanna overdue it... thx for all the help guys... I'll check back in in the morning/afternoon!!

OK ...is it just me or does this look like its pretty much dead ... I'm losing all hope
IMG_20130315_130525_zps3be52683.jpg

I am not an expert but that thing looks bad...like I said if it were me I would take it out just in case, don't want it nuking your tank

It is still stressed for sure. Has it shown any signs of inflation or pretty much just staying deflated? Still moving or laying there? Does it still have a tight mouth or is it more open now?

I just tried feeding it...no signs of inflation since last night...checked my levels...everything in normal range...nitrates around 20 but I guess norm since I'm feeding a lil more....IMO looks like he's inverted...mouth looks more open than the small belly button yesterday!!

OK....well I'm gonna try lighting...I remember when I bought it, lighting was low...barely none...I'm gonna leave only my blue lights on...I do see very minor inflation in some of the tentacles.... fingers crossed

I was almost positive the lighting would of made a difference but every time I look at it I get more and more uncertain...
IMG_20130315_180136_zps69f17c7c.jpg

GENTLY roll it upright, but don't move it.Then don't bother it, and that means feeding it. It wont accept food as long as it's stressed.

OK....today when I got up I noticed its mouth wide open and gaped...I heard that's a bad sign but does it mean its getting worst or what....after I turned the lights on it slowly began to close...
IMG_20130317_105347_zpsa7e1bfe7.jpg

Watching this thread because I have a Sabae also. Mine has been in the tank for about three months and is lodged into the crevice of a rock. Its expanded out just far enough to get in the light. Best of luck getting the nem back healthy, keeping fingers crossed for you

Thx a lot Kevin...unfortunately I noticed it molting and some fish pecking away at pieces falling off of it....I had to let it go....very frustrating...I don't understand what went wrong...I'm pretty sure I stressed it a lot with light...I'll make sure I don't do the same with the next...I think I need to make some kind of fixture to elevate my lighting so I don't kill my livestock

Please give your tank more time to mature before you try again. It was a combination of a lot things but putting it in such a new tank puts you behind the eight ball right off the bat.

It's a very young tank that's moving very fast. That's usually enough.

Anemones (even the "easy" ones, which a sebae is not) require pristine, stable water conditions. Even if your tests are running zeros across the board there are most likely trace amounts of nitrates and/or phosphates in your system that are not showing up because they're being used up before they show up on the tests. There is also something to be said for waiting until you "know" your system before you add the more difficult animals.

Yea I understand but nitrates are a normal part of systems usually do to excess feeding...which corals tend to consume anyways...and its almost impossible to get and keep nitrates at zero...but even so nitrates aren't harmful...so what would that have to do with the anemone....my levels don't fluctuate...ph steady...amonia steady and nitrite steady...

Back