Salinity...

I like the refractometer better.I not familiar with the probe one(pricey).The refractometer did get a lot of positive reviews.

i just lean over the tank and take a big 'ole lick of the water. a finely tunned taste bud is the best, failsafe way to go. j/k

I like my glass floating hydrometer. I've read that a floating glass type is one of the most accurate, if you have the temp right and know how to use it/read it. Some idiot at one of the LFS told me they were "marginally accurate, at best" :roll:

since everyone is giving there 2:twocents: heres mine, Last year our club had a hydrometer calibration day! Everyone brought there hydrometers to the meating and we tested them. the results had everyone ordering refractometers after the meeting. the out of probly 15 hydrometers only one was even close to accurate. and it suprisingly was a hydrometer ive had for 10 years and didnt use anymore. I also had brought 2 deep six hydrometers new in the box. they were all off enough I wouldnt have ever used them again. After that I havent ever touched a hydrometer again. So my advice is buy a refractometer. they are much cheaper than they used to be. you can find a decent one for under $50. and I also have a pinpoint salinity monitor, I dont use it either!

Refractometer is the most accurate and reliable way. I use both, the pin point probe has to be cleaned often or you will gradulally get a lower reading than your actual level. I use the pin point for a quick see if there is an immediate problem, if the pinpoint says i have a problem i use the refractometer to verify. I only use the refractometer to set the makeup water levels and to test system prior to a water change. hope this helps.

Back