salinity

Kwater

Chill
y is salinity allways have something to do with temp. like i know the reading of a salinity or specific gravity measurment is also based upon the temp a little bit and i was testing my mg2+ AND ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TEST IT SAID THAT THE results are also affected by salinity. i just dont fully understand how salinity is incorporated into so many diffrent aspects of the aquarium hobby any help would be great thanx

Temp affect salinity because the cooler seawater is the more dense it becomes or the warmer it is the less dense it becomes.
Temperature Corrections for Hydrometers by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"Why does the temperature of the sample matter? There are two reasons. One is that the hydrometer itself may change its density as a function of temperature, and thus give incorrect readings at any temperature except that for which it is specifically designed (i.e., it floats higher or lower as its density changes).
The second reason that the sample temperature is important is that the sample itself will change its density as a function of temperature. For example, the density of seawater (S = 35) changes from 1.028 g/cm[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE] at 3.98°C to 1.025 g/cm[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE] at 20°C to 1.023 g/cm[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE] at a typical marine aquarium temperature of 80°F. Since the density of the sample is changing with temperature, the measured specific gravity will also change, unless this is taken into account."

The reason testing levels change with salinity is because the higher the salinity, the more "compounds" there are in the water. A higher salinity will have more of all the major and trace elements as compared to the same water sample with a lower salinity.

Back