Salt Gravity

dankolle

Reefing newb
Hey guys, I have been questioning my LFS ever since I found out 20 - 40 ppm was high nitrates when he said they were fine. He told me to keep my gravity at 1.19 because disease doesn't live in that low salt but the fish would still be ok. Should I be worried about keeping it that low? I am methodical with my evaporation replacement and my salt mixing in water changes. I have had it that low for over a year without issues...but I just want to make sure I'm not hurting coraline algea groth or anything like that?

1.019 should be ok for fish only but, if you want to keep corals 1.024-1.026 is optimal for them.

I've heard of people dropping salinity as low as 1.012 (even lower) to treat for ich and other parasites, and even one reefer whose tank was accidentally hypo'd w/ rodi overnight. Not all your livestock will like this -- inverts and corals wouldn't like it. Going down to 1.019 *might* be ok, but I am not sure how it will affect corals.

That is not a solution, though. The best solution is to QT everything, but if you haven't qt'd all your livestock by now, there's no point because any diseases are already in the tank. But unless stressed, the disease won't present itself. And usually, fish can fight it off if your water is really good. A lot of fish are already carriers of ich and/or parasites, but since they are not stressed, you won't see it.

As bad as it is, some of us here do not qt, but we understand the risk of diseases and deal with it. But really, a fish can fight off the diseases on their own, especially if you boost their immune system w/ garlic drops and vitamins. The more they fight it, the more resilient they become to the disease.

Those who QT everything from the start have good results, of course, because the disease is not given a chance to enter the tank. They qt ALL the fish.

I doubt your ray died of disease, but rather from stress from high nitrates.

Yeah...poor stingray! The tank at my office has a nice block of green star polyps, some xenia that is struggling, a few mushrooms that don't seem to be too happy, and a decent sized kenyan tree.

As for fish I have two clowns, a dragonette, a pink antheis, diamond goby, star fish, and assorted snails, crabs, a few larger crabs. I upgraded the lighting about 6-7 months ago to 2x 175watt metal-halides for the corals but they are not really doing much after a 6 month period. I test for calcium....but I wonder if it is the low salt then. Should I try to slowly (over weeks) bring it up to 1.024 - 1.026?

Last edited:
Yes...very very slowly. You can drop salinity a little faster, but you cannot raise as fast. Everyone has their own opinion on what is best for a tank. But if you have a forum of multiple people sharing each others experiences and knowledge, you get better answers than just one person's "IMHO".

Maybe your corals aren't ddoing much because of your nitrates -- the root of your problems, it would seem.

Those blasted nitrates. I am actually upset and sad at the same time that I listened to my LFS and not the people ont his forum about my nitrates being "high". I was always told by LFS that "wow thats not bad" and "it will be fine" : (

Your LFS has really been giving you some bad advice.
He told me to keep my gravity at 1.19 because disease doesn't live in that low salt but the fish would still be ok. Should I be worried about keeping it that low?
I hope you mean 1.019 because 1.19 is very high. You want to keep your salinity as close to natural seawater as possible, which is 1.026 or 35 ppt. There are studies that show fish that are exposed to long term low salanity are prone to liver failure. Also, 1.019 has absolutely no affect on any parasite. Hypo treatments are done at 1.009.

Watch your parameters when raising your salinity. The more salt you add to the water, the higher your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium levels will go. What are your current parameters?

Your LFS is horrible. Sorry, but you NEED to stop going there and taking his advice. Salinity of 1.019 would be bad enough to kill corals and inverts if it was kept that low for a prolonged amount of time. He is also wrong about the disease -- 1.019 is not low enough to kill disease -- parasites and disease will have no problem living through that.

I would bet that low salinity and high nitrates is what's hurting your livestock. Get working on those two problems, and things should improve.

Nitrates around 20 are okay for most fish, but not fish that are sensitive to nitrates. Nitrates at 20 are also okay for a few corals, but the vast majority of corals and most inverts (like shrimp, starfish, and anemones) will start to go downhill once they hit 20. 20 is even high enough to kill shrimp and starfish in some cases. There are some corals and inverts that will really only thrive if nitrates are 0. That's really hard to attain.

Ninja'd by Larry!!

Last edited:
Well he is out of business so not taking his advice will be a slice of pie now!Thanks everyone for helping a humbled 3rd year beginner

How "fast" can I lower my nitrate levels safely? I'm actually a little worried about my anemone...it's all small and not very lively the last few weeks. It definately isn't happy. I know I should avoid a massive water change, but can I do 10 - 15 gallons per day?

On a 55 gallon tank? That should be fine. A good rule of thumb is to not exceed 50% of the tank's volume each day. 10 to 20% daily (or even a bit more than that) to get your parameters in check will be fine.

Come to think of it...I wonder if the nitrates are responsible for killing most of my snales and crabs after a few months of them being in the tank.

I hope your nem's not dying! If it is, it could be killing your tank. Anemones need a stable tank. With the nitrate levels going up, I wouldn't be surprised if it was sick. If a nem dies, it can literally crash your tank because of the toxins it releases.

Sorry to hit you with multiple blows! But just keep an eye on the nem.

Well I have new water tests and my nitrates are between 5ppm and 0ppm now! I removed some rock and cleaned a lot (and I mean a lot) of crap out of the cracks. When I change the water I have been sticking the hose in the little holes of the rocks and it sucks out this gray colored stuff and it really has cleaned up the tank alot!

I am slowly removing the bio balls and have raised my gravity to 1.020. I also took out a PVC tower that was holding up some live rock that was full of the same gray waste materials found in the live rock. I bet that was a nitrate factory as well!

For the first time in 4 weeks my muchroom has popped and my star polyps are looking much better.

The anemone is still small but it isn't pulled down against the rock, it's letting it's self stretch out more. Hope I'm not too late to save him but it is looking much better!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Yeah no kidding! My LFS told me not to listen to anyone on the forums because they were "paranoid" and didn't know what they were talking about. LOL

we are all paranoid becasue we want to have nice tanks that look nice for a long time. i dont want to go spend money on the same thing 50 times because i dont have the right setup to keep it alive while the LFS that is selling it to me says my tank is fine. bad info makes them money lots of money

Back