Sand columns

Dachsx2

Reefing newb
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has these strange columns in their tank.
Towers are built out of sand/crushed coral and a white filament comes out of the top of the column. I have had several of these in my tank for over a year but cannot find out anything about them. They do not appear to be having any detrimental effect to the tank but I am just curious as to what they are.

Hard to say with description given. picture if possible and better more detailed description of what you see. maybe spegetti worrm, or other.

Thank you so very much jhnrb for coming to my rescue again. They are spaghetti worms and there are lots of them in my tank. Not sure what this says about my tank but they seem to like it.
I wasn't worried about them just curious as to what they were.

TEREBELLIDAE SPECIES (SPAGHETTI WORM) Feed on particulate organic material, detritus. Good scavengers, easy to maintain and harmless. Hermit crabs, and other crabs, some shrimps, some whelks, and numerous fishes such as many wrasses and some butterflyfishes, prey on them. hope this helps. they are an interesting worm and fun to watch.

Yes, I received a few frags of zoas and have noticed them occasionally on them. I dont think I can get them to leave, though. Also those zoas dont like to open as nicely as a few others I have.

I have had these zoes for a month and they just from time to time or for the most part dont really open nice. I then noticed a strand or couple strands but no more than 2 strands moving gently with the currents. Almost transparent lil fish line look string or dual string. I thought they were tentacles..but, after hearing and seeing a pic or two of spaghetti worm. I think that may be it. I dont think I can get the worm out of the rock that the zoans are established on though. I wonder if i did a fresh or iodine bath? Who knows what?

Its more likely a vermented snail.They use little silk like lines to capture food particles.But they can be pesky to corals.
If you can find where the worms living,just put a dab of superglue gel on the end of it tube.That'll cure that problem.

I have had these zoes for a month and they just from time to time or for the most part dont really open nice. I then noticed a strand or couple strands but no more than 2 strands moving gently with the currents. Almost transparent lil fish line look string or dual string. I thought they were tentacles..but, after hearing and seeing a pic or two of spaghetti worm. I think that may be it. I dont think I can get the worm out of the rock that the zoans are established on though. I wonder if i did a fresh or iodine bath? Who knows what?

It's actually a vermetid snails like Yote mention,except he didn't spell it correctly.They are a sessile snail,lives in a tube and throws out a cob-web to catch food particles.Harmless mostly,unless it's irritating corals,preventing them from opening.

You do know this thread is from way back in 2005.

No I didn't know it was from 2005. Anyway does the super glue kill them. I have a few I would like see disappear.

I believe super glue will work Piggy,if you cover the tube opening.Epoxy may even work too.Careful though,the end of the tubes are razor sharp.

Back