Screwed up a water change, need opinions on spill

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
So I had a new Maxi Jet 1200 for pumping water from my rubbermaid tote into the tank for a WC, and somehow I either spilled the last bit or overfilled the tank, and i have water dripping in the basement ceiling directly above the tank.

Its the front left corner where the spill was - and to make sure that was the cause I double checked everything else. The water is under the stand, and it was seeping out a bit around the edge of the stand. I wiped that all up and I have a towel there to try and soak up anything left there. I also have a bucket in the basement collecting the drips. It's dripping at about 1 drip a minute - so I dont think it was a ton of water, a couple gallons at most. How worried do I need to be about the sub floor getting a little wet? Obviosuly this is not an everyday thing - it wont be happening again.

Other than collecting the drips and drying the floor upstairs, is there anything else i can do to minimize any potential damage to the floor?

I think you can rent industrial fans at a big box store, or maybe stick a space heater/blower near the area, get it all evaporating? I'd say you'd want to get that subfloor drying out as you don't want it all spongy or moldy.

as long as it is not carpeting that got wet I wouldnt worry about it in the least..plywood ( subflooring is designed to take some water without problems, ( not meaning often but a one time thing like this wont do any damage to it).. the only problem would be if it was carpeted and the padding absorbed the water and it sat for a long period of time...
the ceiling in the basement if finished could have a spot or two that may need touching up though..

Wood floors will quickly be ruined by salt water
Use fresh water wipe with dry towel until all salt is absorbed

If it's carpet, you can go to home depot (or the like) and rent a wet-vac with serious suction capacity to pull the water out of the carpet. No idea how to manage the salt, but that would at least help with the water.

Thanks for all the replies. It's a hardwood floor. I dried it well and also wiped it down with a damp rag. It dripped through to the basement for about a half hour.

Back