seaclone skimmer problem

ob_on3

Reefing newb
I purchased a seaclone Skimmer 100 about 2-3 weeks ago...tank running less than a week...already have life in the tank which is a good sign....but the return spout is cracked and leaking water...I contacted Dr foster n smith and there sending me a new one....but IMO its probably the skimmer cheapness.... has anyone encountered this prob, if so what should I do....keep in mind its hanging on the side of the tank!

I seen that from a few threads....but I've also seen sum people say they modded it....if its possible for a simple mod I'll definitely do it cause there ain't that many hob skimmers...I'm searching as we speak mods

the crack could of been from to much vibration, i had that happen to my intake hose on my sump. I can't say for sure since i don't know what your tank setup is like.

The trickiest one is cutting the inside tube. That would be difficult for me I have big hands. I like the look of the bio ball mod for the impeller, its on the second page, better then the fishing line one. I dont know if you are married or have a girlfriend but maybe she could help with the inside tube mod. The adding a wooden air diffuser seems simple enough you will just need to find hard airline. I read of a guy who tried the flexible stuff and the wooden diffuser just spins around making a lot of noise. Good luck hope this helps...

It definitely does but I can't find a wooden are box...none in my area....or a hard line....but I'm not gonna get an air pump either...I bought some little t valves and I'm gonna connect the line from the motor to the air line as well...save me a good 10-15$

OK so I got all the stuff except wooden air stone...had to order it...smh, but I'm waiting on my new garbage skimmer replacement so soon I should have it up and running modded...when I do I'll take pics to show if its working up to par

My skimmer isnt a name brand one...I really like it. Cost me 50 bucks. However i do run it in sump which I have read makes my model skimmer work better. It can be run HOB but I dont have any experience with it in that mode. I dont know if you have ever looked at my tank thread but I have a vid of my tank that I posted last week that shows the skimmer.

Nice find Ted.
So basically the mod was about changing the fundamental design of the SeaClone - which is really the only problem with the unit :)

I have a sea clone and modded the collection cup. All I did was cut about half an inch off the inner tube sticking up. Since then it pulls dark brown waste and has for about eight months then. I think it is a good skimmer since it was cheap and easy to fix.

I also put Teflon tape or plumbers tape on the air hose valve to make it more precise when adjusting

Back