Seahorse Aquarium

chargedtuna

Reefing newb
Hello,
I'm Julie and I have a 35g hex w/ currently two Reidi Seahorses. I don't see too many posts here on seahorses, so here's a tank for you to look at.

I hooked this tank up in Jan '06. I bought it one day when I got mad at my husband. Thousands and thousands of $$$'s later, this is what I had over the summer.....

000_01441.jpg

I bought my first seahorses in maybe April of '06. They were two wild caught (WC) Erectus seahorses from an online vendor. That lived about two months, then passed. Future reference for any soon to be seahorse starters, don't buy WC. Anyway, then I changed to captive bred (CB). Much better results. Went to my LFS maybe in June and bought a female CB Reidi. She told me she was lonely so I bought her a companion sometime around August. They have had two broods of babies. They haven't had babies in over a month, she is very disinterested. Typical real life scenario, he's ALWAYS interested:)

full tank shot on 9/2/06:

000_01441.jpg

000_01411.jpg

000_00701.jpg

female Reidi:
000_01251.jpg

000_01231.jpg

000_00731.jpg

000_01111.jpg

babies:
000_01181.jpg

000_01211.jpg

Unfortunately for you guys, these are older shots and as you know, tanks evolve. After these pics, I decided to add some macro (Caulerpa prolifera to be exact). I love the "natural" look. Since the macro has taken over all those corals you see, the corals have been relocated to either my 80g bow or my newest addition, my 55g that is currently the next installment phase of seahorses (4 small Erectus's that I've had a 1.5 weeks). This tank has pretty much evolved into an all macro tank. Even though it's really not as pretty as housing all the zoa's and mushrooms, I think it's for the betterment of the seahorses health (hitching needs).

Once I get my camera in picture taking mode, I'll take updates. I hope you enjoy!
Julie

my wifes after me about getting a couple of seahorses. Thinking about setting her up a tank so she can try her hand at it. Just cant get her to understand why horses wouldnt do good in my reef tank.

I like em,,but dont think they get enough to eat with other fish.If it wasnt for that i'd get my a couple and let her put em in my reef tank.

What happen's to all the babies? They don't all survive, do they? I would love to have a couple of seahorses in my tank, but I don't think my husband would do it.

ToMatorClown said:
What happen's to all the babies? They don't all survive, do they? I would love to have a couple of seahorses in my tank, but I don't think my husband would do it.

No I wouldn't, but after we get my tank up if you want to we can set up another one for some horses.

Seahorses are NOT good in reef tanks. They need tall tanks with very gentile flow. these will almost certainly die soon after added as they won't be able to catch food, will be majorly stressed from the flow and will most certainly get stuck to the overflow or a powerhead.

Back