Searching for the right skimmer

beachplayer14

Reefing newb
Hey,

I'm planning a 40g system and I'm looking for a half-decent, protein skimmer. Funds are an issue for me, so I've heard Seaclone is the brand to go for if you don't have money. However, I've heard they're not that great. Reef Octapus keeps getting thrown around but they seem very expenive and more for the most involved people with large tanks.

What brand and model would people suggest considering funds, and the size of my system?

Thanks

I can't speak for sea clone but I will say if you buy a cheap skimmer and it winds up getting replaced what's the savings? I know because I just did this myself. You can get a hob reef octopus, or they make smaller ones too.

Last edited:
i also STRONGLY advise you to not cut corners with a skimmer... i got burned like that buying lights and i basically threw away $100 because i now need to replace my lights after only 1 year.

I also have a 40gal and i got an Octopus skimmer... its rated for 95 gal if i remember correctly and it was right around $100. Its a HOB one, because i didnt have a sump for a while, but now i just have it sitting in my sump and it is still doing a great job. Highly recommend it.

+1 guys, there are a few places you can cut corners in this hobby, IMO skimmers and lighting are not the place. If I were you I would save up a little longer and get the better skimmer

a hang on back skimmer is just made with people that have no sump but still want a skimmer. Its the same equipment, just a different design so you can hang it on the edge of your tanks. I dont this there is any reduction in quality at all... mine sucks up a lot of crap out of the water, so im happy with it.

also, if youre trying to save some money, you might wanna try looking around for one locally. People always part out their tanks and sell equipment cheap.

Thanks a lot, final question. Does anyone know of any reputable distributors based in Canada. Avoiding international shipping charges would be great.

IMO skimmers are one of those pieces of equipment that you get what you pay for. I`d spend the little extra and get a good one that will do the job and last a while.

I have a Seaclone 100 on my 46G, I chose it due to recommendations at my LFS (A Big Al's in Ontario, Canada) not because of lack of cash. It did take a couple of weeks to break in, and get all of the micro bubble out of the system. It has worked great for me, just as well as a friends Octopus.

I have not modified mine, other than removing the foam filter from the intake pump. I did see a difference in the amount of debris being picked up w/o the filter. I have noticed that mine is fairly new, and some of the mods people speak of are done now out of the box. If I was going to make a change it would be to mod the overflow cup to reduce the tube which the bubbles push up. Otherwise, it works great.

I know others will disagree, but I'm happy with the job it is doing in my tank.

Also check out this site for mail order in Canada. http://www.mops.ca/ I haven't ordered from them yet, but I know people who have the prices are decent better/comparable to Big Al's.

Last edited:
Back